ATA Trapper Talk
December 13, 2019, 11:59:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATA TRAPPER TALK CODE OF ETHICS

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: beaver  (Read 13700 times)
sniper one
« on: December 25, 2010, 05:02:57 PM »

There is a large pond (about 5 acres of water) where im trappin that is covered up with beaver. I went and scouted it some more today and im plannin on settin for coon and beaver monday. But i dont really know how to set it. Ive found 3 or 4 bank dens, but no slides. there aren't really any places where they can slide. none of the banks are very steep. And crossovers are out of the question. the dams are in the feeder creeks and they are dry.

Ive found two or three places to set for them. I have no idea what this set is called but Mr. Fischer made one in the demo at the workshop this year. but other than that I have no idea what sets to use. Im still tryin to get my first beaver so any help is appriciated.
kkac
TRAP DEALER-BEAVER CATCHER
Global Moderator
Trapper

TIGHT CHAINS AND COOL WEATHER

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 06:45:08 PM »

kkac
Global Moderator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 06:46:28 PM »

kkac
Global Moderator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 06:48:26 PM »

sniper the two pictures i put on your post are of trails around a pond that i have found no other trails or crossovers on.
i have caught raccoon in these sets also.

sniper one
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 06:52:30 PM »

there are trails runnin out of the brush on the south side of this pond. im plannin on settin some 160's there. i dont think the beaver are using it because there is no water where the trails are headed.
neotoxo
Trapper

"I'LL GIVE AS GOOD AS I GET"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 07:55:07 PM »

You may wish to set some beaver snares along those trails...they don't always leave water to go to water...they may
be searching for or going to food...walk the trails a bit and see if there are beaver cuttings farther down the trail...
snares set for beaver are big enough and low enough for coons to walk through...set both and see what comes of it...

Proud Member of
East Arkansas Fur Takers, FTA Chapter 29B
SWAFT, FTA 29A
Arkansas Trappers Association
NTA,FTA,USSA
Supporting All Trappers and Sportsmen Alike
sniper one
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 08:08:24 PM »

ok. i have to go to Little Rock tomorrow but monday im planning on resetting all of may traps. while im there i will take some pics and walk the trails.
sniper one
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 06:32:22 PM »

I went up there today and set 3 330's. maybe I'll have a beaver waitin on me in the mornin.
TL_Wasson
Mid-Ark Trappers
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 09:07:38 PM »

you should,  they are sure active after that big rain,  just got in and had 5 splashing me at a culvert set.  one had already tripped it and pushed it over.  I reset, and backed it up  on down with a snare real quick.  may have a double!  in the morning! 

a good friend once told me: "Traps are patient and work 24 hours a day."
thwhite
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 09:09:45 PM »

Yep, when we get a decent rain (finally) they are out like crazy trying to find out how to hold all that water.  Should be a good week for beavers.
sniper one
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 09:14:53 PM »

This rain got the feeder creeks over flowin and once he starts using those dams again ill set the crossovers on them.

Im ready to get some more coon sets out. Ive got all of them pulled and ive been using my live traps to catch skunks at our chicken house.

But I'm wantin that first beaver. i decided that the coons could wait a little while.
TL_Wasson
Mid-Ark Trappers
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 09:20:33 PM »

you need to be setting ALL those coon traps starting at daylight tomorrow..
critters are moving all over tonight..  that beaver will be in the same spot, for the next 2 months...  and its easy to catch him, just guide stick him into those 330's and get the knife..

coons are moving, moving moving...   I kept waiting for the rain to let up enough today to set.  DIDNT happen,    had to wait till tomorrow...  ALmost went tonight and made sets, but thought better of it, with all the fresh water running,,,    gonna set it heavy tomorrow though...   
tl

every critter will move tonight , should be a good morning for everyone with traps out tomorrow...   

sniper one
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 09:24:11 PM »

well then I know what im doin tomorrow. Settin steel.  Grin I wonder how many sets I can get out from 8 A.M. till dark? looks like were gonna find out tomorrow!

If i can get all my coon traps set, and they're movin, I oughta have several the next day. Might even try and get out a few coyote/bobcat sets...

wish me luck.
TL_Wasson
Mid-Ark Trappers
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 09:26:23 PM »

set em all. and bait em up good...  try to set freeze proof areas, under banks if ya can, or root balls on blow downs if theres sign,   it will keep em working if we get more rain, and the freezeup coming saturday..

sniper one
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 09:37:17 PM »

I dont know what a freeze proof area really is. under some sort of cover? and theres a 30% chance of rain tomorrow and an 80% chance on Friday. should I set all tomorrow or wait untill the rain passes through so that i dont have to remake all of my sets?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: