ATA Trapper Talk
February 22, 2020, 11:15:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: PLEASE SUPPORT OUR VENDORS WHO SUPPORT OUR FORUM

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beaver Bounties—-Do They Work?  (Read 601 times)
Beaver
Trapper

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2019, 11:58:48 AM »

Do beaver tail bounties honestly minimize beaver conflicts, or does a quite a bit of ADC trapping still have to be done?

Does it matter if fur prices are higher, vs lower as to whether or not it’s an efficient method of minimizing beaver conflicts?

Thank you
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 09:42:07 AM by Beaver » Logged

If you can either quickly or quietly switch out shells, you can bring home almost anything.
coonman
Mid-Ark Trappers
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 07:27:20 AM »

An ADC trapper would say no because it can decrease business.
A fur trapper would say yes because with the price of beaver fur, a bounty can make it worth catching a few.
I take advantage of the bounty in my fur trapping zone, what I call those places close to home that I trap for free, but don't rely on that bounty outside that zone or outside the winter trapping season.
I guess I'm somewhat neutral on the bounty system. I can see both the advantages and disadvantages of it.

21st Century Moutain Man
trapperjeff
Global Moderator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 08:28:49 AM »

the bounty give me an incentive to target more beaver. I think it does help to keep the beaver at a controlled level.
Roy Woods
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 10:52:52 PM »

My opinion is that the bounty is a good thing, and I would like to have it here in the counties in the northwest corner of the state, but that is not the case.  The only issue that I have with the bounty is from what I have heard, and therefore I feel that it needs closer monitoring.  For instance, I have heard from reliable trappers in eastern Arkansas of out of state trappers, some from as far away as New York, that have came to Arkansas to trap and brought beaver tails from their home state, and then turned them in here and collected the bounty, along with bounty on those they catch while here.  I don't like more red tape, but neither do I like something such as this happening.  Maybe before paying the bounty, the remittance personnel should require the trapper prove residence in Arkansas, i.e.: paid tax receipt, vehicle insurance, paid water bill, etc.  Haven't heard this in a few years, so this may be the only thing the low beaver prices have solved.   
Al Crandall
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 07:32:52 PM »

In White County they usually run out of bounty money by March or April, rice and bean farmers usually keep me working throughout the year, When the beaver bounty money comes in I'll use it to expand, more traps, update or repair equipment. haven't even bothered with fur since it bottomed out, may need to start looking at that again but I'm gonna say the bounty works for me anyway.
Trapper PawPaw
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 10:10:19 PM »

I did some beaver trapping in Pulaski county & the lady in charge said they never run out of money. It’s only $ 10 a tail, but an extra roughly $250  at my disposal means more traps or supplies. That $10 is well more than the green skinned fur. When you factor in being paid for catching the critter & castor roughly $5 / oz , beaver are definitely worth going after unless you have to hand carry all you steel a long way through rough terrain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: