ATA Trapper Talk
December 09, 2019, 09:10:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATA TRAPPER TALK CODE OF ETHICS

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Public land trapping locations?  (Read 400 times)
JWD
Trapper

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2019, 11:18:33 PM »

Hello everybody,  I am new to the ATA. I am not new to trapping, but I am relatively new to the area I am now, we moved here 11/2017. I trapped on 340 a.c. of private land last year for a friend, did ok. Does anyone know of any public land trapping opportunities around the Yellville/Mountain Home area? Looking to find some new ground within a reasonable distance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JReagan
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 07:53:48 AM »

Have you looked into the WMA's listed by the AGFC? That's the best way to find public land local to you. If you look on their site they have interactive maps and stuff to help you locate areas near you.
https://www.agfc.com/en/hunting/where-hunt/wildlife-management-areas/
JWD
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 07:18:23 AM »

JReagan, yes sir I have, it all seems kind of risky as far as losing traps. Also, several are walk in only, I am not lazy by any means, but that is time consuming. I'm still looking into it. Thanks for the prompt reply.

JD
JReagan
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 08:25:19 AM »

The lose of traps is definitely a risk, and the walk in is definitely time consuming. I end up walking in way far away from any nearby roads to avoid traps being taken, but I can't just toss traps out on my way home in the evening like that for sure. Have to dedicate a weekend to the endeavor and camp out where I'm trapping.
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 02:32:28 PM »

You may consider right of way trapping if your not wanting to walk in. Thereís always going to be a risk of trap theft. You donít have to get to far away from the hot spot common areas to combat a trap thief. Go with drowner or slide cables where possible to get that catch out of sight, body grippers where possible and when ethical can keep a searching eye from finding movement. Just glancing at a map there are many road crossings near yellville I would consider setting. If you drive west to east or visa versa yellville to mountain home, that hwy runs perpendicular to the lake, meaning drainage should be plentiful.
Donít forget to get some private permission to fill in on those busy holiday hunt weekends. You donít have to trap that property all year, but keep a few in your back pocket for a go to when things are a bit under pressure. Check your county extension office for farmers that have recently been asking for solutions, hit up the road dept for drain issues caused by beavers, get on a golf course, that is their off season after all.
Good luck
JWD
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 09:22:52 PM »

Trav821, thanks. Those are some good ideas, I will definitely look into that.
JReagan
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 02:47:39 PM »

You may consider right of way trapping if your not wanting to walk in.

I didn't know you could do this, any right of way or just on back roads? Obviously back roads would result in less traffic seeing your sets, but just seeing what's what here.
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 09:22:37 PM »

Itís an appeal to ignorance fallacy JR, the code book states;

17.01 D-5
No snare shall be set or maintained in any public road

What about pulling on the side of the road?
 Title 27 chapter 51 of the Arkansas parking laws
15. on the shoulders, median, ramps, or any highway rights-of-way along an interstate or fully controlled access highway except in designated parking areas

Normally road way easements are in the  15 or 20í range on each side, check local road dept. because this varies from county to county. If it says 50í thatís 25í on each side of the center mark of the road. Donít walk 25í of easement and then try and get away from people an additional 25í. That could net you a trespass.
 Regardless, you canít park on the side of the interstate, but farming, logging roads are a safe bet as long as you have the local allowance. Side streets should be okay as well, be respectful, donít block traffic and there shouldnít be a problem. More often than not youíll not be there very long. Try to improve your system to deploy fast and effective. Always check local and municipal codes for yourself. Donít just take the word of some idiot on the internet. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. It may cost you some research  time, but itís a great way to capitalize on and help manicure an unused resource.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: