ATA Trapper Talk
November 20, 2019, 09:42:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2019 TRAPPERS WORKSHOP OCT. 25-27

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming beaver populations  (Read 1277 times)
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2019, 10:02:07 PM »

Much of the Arkansas river basin has seen a massive amount of water this spring. I am eager to get on the river to find the new cuts and backwashes. Although sad because I know, like spring and fall 2015 floods reek havoc on what little marsh habitat we have. Heavy washes of sand filling in spots of cattail, suppresses their growth for a few seasons. Debris piles can be a nice new find for mink,coon, and otter and even the occasional new beaver hooch. I am curious though what the flooding does in the way of young of the year  beaver. I know some are bound to be lost. What’s your opinion on population densities after floods reside? New genetics wash down? Will a beaver have another litter after an early spring litter. I noticed a lot of small rats the 15/16 season I suspect late litters after the flood, but the food left and so did the rats for a bit. Then a year or 2 of unstable water etc etc etc.

Also on a side note,  all the media coverage the flood has got, is this levee going to hold is that, the price of beefs going to go up, my wheat is wet. How bout Thank you Trappers! Surely unbeknownst to the public, how much levee damage would have been sustained from hog rooting, beaver and rat tunneling had there not been Trappers in the midst. Water rushing through bank dens and areas void of vegetation due to over abundance of hogs or beaver, makes quick work of the integrity of a bank or levee. You have saved the day again! And no one even knows.......
Roy Woods
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 11:04:29 PM »

Good thoughts, Travis, regarding the trappers being a positive factor in maintaining the integrity of the levees by our trapping activities.  It would be a definite positive for all trappers in the state should someone in a position of authority such as the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, or someone in the state administrative offices, to make a public statement to this effect. 
I also share your thoughts about the animal population after large rains and floods.  I noticed a decline in the animal populations up here after the large spring rains that we had 3 years ago.  It was like they all moved away, but I suspect that the spring births of many were washed away and became catfish bait.  We didn't have that much rain up here, at least not of the flooding kind this year.     
Beaver
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 03:06:35 PM »

Very interesting thoughts

If you can either quickly or quietly switch out shells, you can bring home almost anything.
Al Crandall
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 12:24:39 PM »

Only been trapping since around 1995, mostly nuisance wildlife control, so I don't have the knowledge that some of you guys and gals do, just my opinion but I think beaver at least in my area are thriving, (White County and surrounding areas), you don't have to walk far to find a dam or damage. I quit trapping for about five years, after the first of the year I called White county and they had bounty money, Called a farmer in Griffithsville where I trapped 5 years ago and I was up and running again, he couldn't get in his fields to plant crops, then I picked up a small land owner, dropped my business cards where ever I went, tractor supply and implement companies, Picked up a sod farm in McRae, Beaver bounty ran out somewhere around March as usual, started charging $20 a beaver to keep me in gas money to keep operating. picked up another farmer in Bald Knob with flooded fields and then a Dr. out of Little Rock with hunting and farming land across the creek from the Bald Knob farmer, then a farmer with about 2000 acres in McCrory, stopped two or three times for a week or two to wait til the first of the month for my next retirement check or to do maint. on equipment, buy more traps or build more drowning rods and then up and running again, said many times, don't do it for the money but can't do it without money, turned 68 yesterday, guess I'll keep doing it as long as I'm able.
Roy Woods
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 04:29:18 PM »

Al, the supply is there, and the landowners demand is good.  When supply and demand are both positive, this equates to higher prices for your efforts.  You shouldn't have to dip into your social security check for expense money for taking care of someone's problem beavers.  Whatever you do, good luck.   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: