ATA Trapper Talk
June 15, 2019, 09:50:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2019 SPRING CONVENTION - JUNE 1

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trapping Sabatical  (Read 778 times)
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2019, 09:30:03 AM »

Well, a few more days and Iím headed south with Bob, for what my wife has dubbed my opposum trapping sabbatical. LOL
Itís been a long, long time since Iíve had traps out for more than a few days at a time. Even longer yet to camp that long.
Iíve got some new bait whipped up to try out.
A lot of time organizing all the stuff to haul down. Heck, I even cleaned my truck  Barf
Right now forecast looks like first 5 days of 60ís +\-. I hope itís not a wash the next week, Iíll be in a tent.
 I probably wonít have Net access while there, but I hope to post some of the shenanigans with pictures when I get back.
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 10:53:27 AM »

Have a safe trip!

kkac
TRAP DEALER-BEAVER CATCHER
Global Moderator
Trapper

TIGHT CHAINS AND COOL WEATHER

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 09:23:41 AM »

just don't fall in the river like bobby did,
 LOL

TIGHT CHAINS AND COOL WEATHER
Beaver
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 09:19:18 PM »

Have a good time?  How was it?

If you can either quickly or quietly switch out shells, you can bring home almost anything.
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 10:16:38 PM »

Well aix, I ended up not getting to go down, Bobby went and sure tried to sway me.
The week up to the trip was full of rain, every day 2Ēís kinda rain! We planned to leave Saturday morning, the Friday night 12:21 am a oak tree uprooted in the back yard and took some of the house out and totaled 2 vehicles. Needless to say I spent what was going to be 2 weeks of cracked hands, stinky truck, over indulging on carbs and stacking up some flat tails......burning brush, cutting wood, framing, roofing, siding, etc  I did camp out... well it felt like camping to me since we went a week without power until I got the roof back on and the new meter set. Iíve shed tears for a lot of stuff, women, family, dogs, but I never thought up to then I cared for a truck as much.
I hope to try again next year, if bob wonít have me, Iíve got a few contacts now on some exotic farms down south, after being in Texas for the first 3 months of the year.
I think I was most excited to stay in my old canvas stove tent, I can catch beaver at home, but the wife thinks Iíve lost it if I set up base camp in the yard with a GP medium.

Iíll add, Bob did push his trip back a few days to come by and help knock a few limbs off and get the truck and jeep pulled out from under the near 40Ē red oak. Helping me over starting a trip we had planned for months shows a lot about his character. And he IS a character. Kidding thanks bob
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 10:22:09 PM by Trav821 » Logged
Trapper PawPaw
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 10:34:14 AM »

Sorry for your misfortune! Hopefully everyone was OK ,everything else can be repacked at some point. Hope all your traps escaped as well.
Donít know where to post this question, but do you know any beaver trappers that work over about 20 miles East of Newport & what their beaver bounty is in Poinsett County ?
Beaver
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 11:41:12 AM »

Well aix, I ended up not getting to go down, Bobby went and sure tried to sway me.
The week up to the trip was full of rain, every day 2Ēís kinda rain! We planned to leave Saturday morning, the Friday night 12:21 am a oak tree uprooted in the back yard and took some of the house out and totaled 2 vehicles. Needless to say I spent what was going to be 2 weeks of cracked hands, stinky truck, over indulging on carbs and stacking up some flat tails......burning brush, cutting wood, framing, roofing, siding, etc  I did camp out... well it felt like camping to me since we went a week without power until I got the roof back on and the new meter set. Iíve shed tears for a lot of stuff, women, family, dogs, but I never thought up to then I cared for a truck as much.
I hope to try again next year, if bob wonít have me, Iíve got a few contacts now on some exotic farms down south, after being in Texas for the first 3 months of the year.
I think I was most excited to stay in my old canvas stove tent, I can catch beaver at home, but the wife thinks Iíve lost it if I set up base camp in the yard with a GP medium.

Iíll add, Bob did push his trip back a few days to come by and help knock a few limbs off and get the truck and jeep pulled out from under the near 40Ē red oak. Helping me over starting a trip we had planned for months shows a lot about his character. And he IS a character. Kidding thanks bob

So much for registering under a different name! Smiley

Wow, that sounded terribleó-A 40Ē oak is a biggun, not to mention the timing.  I suppose itís better it happened when it did and not a few days into the trip.

If you can either quickly or quietly switch out shells, you can bring home almost anything.
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 04:17:51 PM »

Sorry Beaver, no hiding around here, we are who we are. Youíve helped to many people to hide from that.
I am really lucky in the sense it hit the house when it did, Iím grateful no one was hurt. Insurance did me right, then dropped me 3 months later Undecided
Pawpaw- traps all made it through, I been through that debacle once already.
I canít say that I know of anyone from Newport, bounty wise your conservation district office is out of Harrisburg, I called them a minute ago and was told Poinsett does participate, and thought the amount was $10 per tail. Guy I talked with named Lee, you may call and check on money amounts before getting after em. # is
(870-578-2444)
Trapper PawPaw
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 09:50:00 PM »

Thanks for the info Trav821
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: