ATA Trapper Talk
August 25, 2019, 09:06:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2019 SPRING CONVENTION - JUNE 1

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beaver food bait or lure  (Read 1005 times)
Al Crandall
Trapper

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2018, 01:33:54 PM »

Looking for a good bait or lure, maybe something made in the south, using footholds on a semi-steep bank with drowning rods, Thanks
Al Crandall
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 01:35:27 PM »

Should have been food bait or lure, thanks
Fatcoach
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 05:52:42 PM »

I like beaver plus through January and you could peel a few willow sticks and lay above trap on bank if they grow there. My 2 cents.
Al Crandall
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 12:04:39 AM »

Thanks
Beaver
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 09:10:09 AM »

My two favorite baits for beaver are sweet gum and willow.  I take an arm sized, FRESH piece and stick it behind the set.  I peel the front like a carrot and leave anything peeled away hanging off of it. 

Honey is a proven beaver attractor, and Iíve been known to squirt a little raw honey behind a set.

Of course proven commercial lures are good, beaver plus as mentioned is an excellent lure.  You can also make your own very easily.  There are many recipes available online. I like glycerin with castor, and I donít make a lure that doesnít have OIL in it.  Mineral oil is my favorite for lure making.  I donít care for a dry lure, I like it kinda sloppy so the lure runs a little when I splash water on the set before leaving.

These are all attractors, but nothing makes up for location.  I want a place that sticks out, and, if possible, on the side of the drainage that the prevailing wind will carry the scent when beavers swim past.
Good luck

If you can either quickly or quietly switch out shells, you can bring home almost anything.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: