ATA Trapper Talk
November 13, 2019, 05:19:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATA TRAPPER TALK CODE OF ETHICS

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bluff mink  (Read 1772 times)
Beavertrapper
Trapper

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2017, 04:08:08 PM »

I fish a lake in southern mo that I will be trapping this winter I've have watched mink on several occasions going in and out of natural rock cubbies the banks are solid rock with no real dirt how would I go about setting traps in those spots.
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 04:38:58 PM »

110 conibear tied to a rock

Beavertrapper
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 06:40:49 PM »

What about stabilizing
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 07:08:42 PM »

Stone county is over Branson way isn't it? Lots of water that way!
Can you tell where they are coming from? It may not be rocky and steep a little ways up or down the bank, it may help to pick a more suitable place for intercepting the mink.
What does the water edge look like? If it's not incredibly sheer, can you create a walk through with rocks? Pick a point that's too sheer for them to want to get their feet wet so they'll want to choose the high road, this spot may not even need additional landscaping. A 110 would wedge in and stabilize with ease. I prefer a little bigger coni, but I know you guys are restricted to under 5 dry.
As Wayne said you can tie off to a big rock using wire or cable beware if you have eagles and owls like we do you won't want your mink sitting on dry land for all to see other wise you'll have a Swiss mink, even buzzards will take to the rear of a mink.
Guys have also adapted the use of newspaper tubes as baited coni boxes just cut a slot for the spring a good ways in, that may help some, can't say for sure, mink don't take to the bait where I'm at as much as some places, just too many other food sources, low water compresses crawfish and minnows. It's better to play on their habits of travel than their need to eat for me. That means high bank trails bottom edge sets and the occasional curiosity pocket.
Try to get them to the water, or brush, doesn't take much, just a little length of tie off material.
Good luck
Beavertrapper
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 07:43:24 PM »

Yep it's on the stone county taney line I'm about 30 minutes northwest I've seen one go in a den hole but that hole is about 6 feet under water the other spots where pretty steep I'm sure they are traveling the other banks but ive seen them checking the crevices as I've fished the banks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: