ATA Trapper Talk
November 19, 2019, 09:19:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2019 TRAPPERS WORKSHOP OCT. 25-27

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: What it takes to run a line.  (Read 39504 times)
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2017, 07:37:42 PM »

so got back from the doctors yesterday and found that our well pump went out. So stupid Bob pulled it by himself. Someone has thrown there back out real bad. I went out anyway and set 9 750's and 18 or so snares. I don't thank that this back can take to much more. Had to call a old army buddy to give me a hand tomorrow so I don't make it any worse. So if we get one or 8 I thank my season is over.
So what it takes to run a line? maybe a good back.......

Back stabbers are everywhere always watch your back
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2017, 07:23:04 PM »

So me and my buddy went out and pulled that line. Not a hole lot of movement last night. We ended with three more to the count and that leaves 4. The guy was like a kid in a candy store. More in amazement that that big of a critter could be caught. Was sure glad to have the help. Now he wants to go out again, and said he would do all the heavy lifting and bending. So now I got talked into going back out Saturday.
now I'm thanking will this ever end    Pew Pew Pew Doh!

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2017, 05:32:05 PM »

I didn't get to go out Saturday and decided to go see my brother that I haven't seen in a few months.
It was to good of a day to pass up so I went out today even though the boss said I better not. I got a few sets out but with this back thing I'm moving a hole lot slower. Takes a few minutes to catch my breath after setting out one of those sand bags. I'm glad Travis showed me how to set those snares, but some places just call for a trap. I thank the count is still 4 and surely I can get it done by the weeks end. Hope so I'm sure wore down. Now if I can get the freezer emptied we will be done, ready to do some fishing and crawfish hunting.

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2017, 08:28:28 PM »

These last few are getting to be a pain. We got 3 more today, not a hole lot but that leaves 1. Surely out of 20 or so sets we can get one. I did have a funny today. I was going to one of the set locations that had two snares at it when I saw what looked like a small otter. As I got closer it became clear it was a mink. Now how did a mink get in a snare loop that was set for a beaver? Crazy things happen. Just so everyone knows that this is my first mink. I have cleaned some that I find on the road, ( could I leave a 20 laying on a road) but I have never trapped them. Now just for thought, If I caught it in a beaver set couldn't I just take a hammer and smash its tail and call it a beaver. I don't thank Travis  would count it. I thank I will have to have it tanned and keep it.
anyway tomorrow will be the last day I get to trap for a while, I have two hogs that need to be put in the freezer so I got to get all those beaver I have put up. Then the big task of cleaning everything up to prep for the hog killing.

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2017, 02:23:36 PM »

I pulled all the sets yesterday so I thought. The first 3 sets was empty and the next was a snare which held a nice beaver and made the 100th of the year. Got two more that day which now we can say we are over 100 in a season....
We I got home I did a count of traps and snare that I had set out to set. There seemed to be two 750s that didn't make it home. Now I cant say here how mad I was after unloading everything and unhooking the boat to find that I have to go look for two traps that I did not plot on the GPS. The first trap was where the first beaver was caught in the snare. I thank what I did was set the 750 in and mark it then add the snare to a trail 10 feet away. The bank had fell in and covered the trap so that is why I did see it. The next missing trap was in a place were I thought I put a snare the other day but did mark it. when I went by the set the day before yesterday I though why didn't I set here. and went on. Today I found it because there seemed a critter held and I can say this is my first time catching one. I caught coon, otter and a possum. I have never caught a coyote in a 750. just another crazy thing I can say I have done I guess. I did bring my camera but did get a pic on the phone.

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2017, 11:30:37 PM »

Back in town this weekend, my oldest has a tournament this weekend. Going to try and get out in the morning and set a few traps. I need to get some fur put up tomorrow night.
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2017, 03:15:27 PM »

Well aside from a couple of coyotes drying the fur work is done!! I went over to bobs this am and picked up what he had finished, he put me in charge of giving all this fur away. Lol
We made a plan of where we are sending what, since neither of us are one egg basket Kinda people. I got everything back to the shop ran through them with a brush and rag one last go round. Everything was sized first then Went through the 2 grade system it sucked or it didn't....
Lots of stuff going to the tannery this year.
Lots of first for both bob and I, everyone starts a season with some  semblance of a goal, one of mine was to discover the value of a snare, I have in years past ignored them as a useful tool for no other reason than ignorance on my part. They will be a staple in my truck in the future.

What does it take to run a line?Huh??.......
Aside from lots and lots and lots of time management and juggling family, work and other responsibilities. The space management of your precious freezer space and stretchers. Over coming equipment malfunction, body failure, wader repair after repair, tangles, cold hands, bit up beaver and rats, lots of fur work, barge traffic, weather, and a boss that expects you to show up to work Monday mornings.
I don't know Maybe I can figure it out next year.  Grin

This is a good portion of the fur minus otter, coyotes, fox, cat and a few beaver still on wood. Sure doesn't look like much in a picture I will say that. I'm plenty proud to have been a part of it though.

Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2017, 04:35:34 PM »

Good job.

Will the next series be "What it takes to get ready to run a line"?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: