ATA Trapper Talk
December 12, 2019, 06:40:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATA TRAPPER TALK CODE OF ETHICS

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dynamics of an Arkansas cat market  (Read 1645 times)
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »

First off I am NO cat trapper!
 But it's interesting to me it seems that so many buyers prefer the nicer cats in the round....am I wrong? Or is this just a problem that few trappers know how to handle cats properly? Me being one.
I have never been to a western state sale, so I don't know if those better cat states are the same or if they actually know how to prepare a cat for sale. I realize they have a far superior quality of animal than we do. I'm not comparing apples to oranges here. the idea of the fruit basket is what I'm compairing.
It seems like a green cat normally does a little better, is there really a difference if it's put up or green? I imagine some has to do with buying cat by cat since there's so much variation....a cat or 2 at the sale in Russellville went far less than some that were green that didn't look half as furred...... should more emphasis be put on the care you take on the end product.... say at workshops etc., fur work seems to be artisanal to me, as I don't feel like it's something you just start doing great, it takes a lot of practice. I always try and get better, but  I'm a long ways away from where I'd like to be.
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 04:54:54 PM »

Keep in mind the following is only an opinion and has no scientific data to back it up.

I "think" spots on the belly has a lot to do with it.  I also "think" some buyers want fur put up a particular way.  I also "think" cat's sold in the round are taxidermy material.

TL_Wasson
Mid-Ark Trappers
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 05:27:26 PM »

a whole cat has a marketable value to a larger group. so more demand...

also, Spots around the side to the back, less stripes and " Rabbit Back" are items looked for....

my humble opinion, from watching buyers, talking after sales, and seeing fur sheds from long time sellers, and buyers...   

I've see taxidermy.net pay $300 and up for cats w no holes, just to get one someone wants to mount... $ for $600..   some folks got LOTS more money than i do... Smiley     
part of trapping, is knowing what u have, and how to market it...

the first beaver hides i sold was out of my moms trunk in England ar at 14 yrs old.   i got 3 dollars for it.. i worked almost 3 hrs getting that beaver skinned, on  a tailgate of my truck w a dull knife... i didn't know better, and no one to tell me how...  no ATA, no sharing of data and knowledge, all self taught from 100's of hours in the field each winter looking at sign...  Support the ATA!   all the way...  they support the trapper community GREATLY. one Workshop when i was 39 taught me more than 5 yrs trapping as a youngun.

a good friend once told me: "Traps are patient and work 24 hours a day."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: