ATA Trapper Talk
December 12, 2019, 06:34:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2019 TRAPPERS WORKSHOP OCT. 25-27

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fur shed tools you can't go without?  (Read 2183 times)
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2016, 01:24:27 PM »

Anyone have a fur shed tool that may not be commonly used but you just can't seem to get along without?
I haven't been in to many people's fur shops to discover new tools that aren't commonly used. Or I guess it could be anything in the fur shed. I have a magnet bolted to my gambrel so I can stick my knife while I need to pull. Doesn't save a lot of time but it saves some movement... I also find a hay hook indespinsible, I hang it from the top side of the gambrel for a third hand when working at the front legs also when it's time to clean up, it sure makes things easier to handle. Shingle blades, catfish skinning pliars, a 20 penny nail stuck up from the bottom of the work bench.....
Roy Woods
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 03:39:13 PM »

Sometime when you are not too busy, I'd like to see your shed.  Sounds like you could give me some good ideas.  See you at the meeting tonight.
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »

the catfish pliers is something I like use to help get the eyes cut out. and you can see what I mean when you come up Friday on the fox I messed up without them. Seems I lost then sometime between the workshop and home. I also like those cheep knife holders that I have every where in the shop. I will let you know how the beaver easel works this next week when I get to try it out on all those beaver we got.

MY beaver skinning table is the best....
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:25:00 PM by bblair » Logged

Back stabbers are everywhere always watch your back
kkac
TRAP DEALER-BEAVER CATCHER
Global Moderator
Trapper

TIGHT CHAINS AND COOL WEATHER

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 11:59:13 PM »

don't let bobby fool you neither he can flat skin anything quick.
I have to have my radio going on the oldies (southern rock) or a ball game, but I skin outside unless its several days of bad weather. then I go in the wood shed with the freezers and ice box.
the first metal shed is the store, the big wood shed is over flow, the other metal shed is work and fleshing shed and the drying room. the last metal shed is storage. sometimes I get lost back there.

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 01:09:43 PM »

Sometime when you are not too busy, I'd like to see your shed.  Sounds like you could give me some good ideas.  See you at the meeting tonight.
Imagine a 8' workbench with bottles and buckets stacked so thick it's no longer a workbench but a shelf. From the door walk 3 feet in and do an abrupt about face.....that's where I skin. Other than that nick knacks and tools hanging from every spot possible... a 4 square foot hole in the corner is a fleshing beam....that pretty much sums it up.

kkac it sounds like you have your own little town. I get lost on purpose in mine.... if even just mentally. How many freezers do you run?
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 05:09:31 PM »

kkac it sounds like you have your own little town. I get lost on purpose in mine.... if even just mentally. How many freezers do you run?

I was thinking the same thing!   LOL

kkac
TRAP DEALER-BEAVER CATCHER
Global Moderator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 10:01:50 PM »

well I have sold 4 of them and I am going to sell one or two more I think, I have a double ice keeper but it would run your power up.
I had 9 freezers

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: