ATA Trapper Talk
December 15, 2019, 09:48:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATA TRAPPER TALK CODE OF ETHICS

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: What it takes to run a line.  (Read 40101 times)
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2016, 05:41:43 PM »

Me and Travis will be running a line this year together. We will post here so everyone can see what it takes to run a mixed catch line. We will start on December the 3ed and run until we cant stand each other or the season ends. One of us gets to run everyday and the other will be working. This should give two kinds of perspectives on how everything works and give new trappers a insight on ways they could run a line even though they my have to work or go to school. We will be running with two boats until we get the bulk of the line out and also be able to take some new trappers out with us so they will see first hand.
Sorry we have put a lock on this post but you can post on part two with any question or comments. If anyone would like to place bets on who will fall in the water first or who will get a 330 or a MB750  stuck on their hand place them there two.

Back stabbers are everywhere always watch your back
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:53:39 PM »

I will gladly place a bet on me falling in the water over catching myself. I almost fell out the boat yesterday morning... tilled the motor so I could push pole, went ahead and stood up then the motor shifted sides LOL
Lesson learned
Yesterday morning I ran several miles of the Arkansas river checking cross over points on levees that have produced for me in the past. Winds NNe @4 tailwater &337 ft  uber duper foggy as in visibility 30 yards max.     Then went and pigged out!
This morning NNW 8 kind of choppy Tailwater was down so the high side was up about 2 foot I  ran up the center of the cat tail flats to see if the rats started cutting roots or building push ups yet. Sign for rats was slim, but they are there I can sense them ha!
Located lots of castor mounds, and territory markers, quite a few feed beds where the beaver have started cutting willow.
I always check sand bars for otter toilets and to check traffic conditions of other fur bearers.

I already owe Bob a seat. I'm gonna fix him up real nice though with one of those jon Deere high back seats.lol
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 07:42:17 PM by Trav821 » Logged
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 02:52:38 PM »

Went out scouting and found some promising beaver sign before the boat motor broke down. Dang new carb needed to have the float adjusted. Back out tomorrow to test it AGIN. I'm using a 10ft flat bottom with a 4 horse. Travis is using a 15ft flat bottom with a 9.9 horse. Guess who can carry more gear and move faster.

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 01:42:54 PM »

Went out today and set on that beaver sign. The water was down at least 18 inches. So I set the traps for a front foot catch so if the water goes up I should be ok for a hind leg catch. Crazy amount of coon sign. If I can talk Travis into setting for them we should be good for a record year for them. Seen some rat tracks and one set of mink tracks. The weather was cool with a temp of 34 when I set the boat in the water. Then the wind picked up and I was glad I didn't make it to the river. I may take some DP traps out tomorrow to thin out the coon. Maybe the wind will be better tomorrow so I can get the rest so these 750's wet. tell tomorrow

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 06:20:48 PM »

The 5 beaver set produced 3 beaver. The other two were set off and looked like the beaver came up a brushed them with there chest. The water was down at least another 6 inches and the beaver must have got to the sets before it fell. The temp was a nice 25 degrees and the fug was crazy thick. Put out 6 DP traps and headed home. Made it a short day so I could beg the wife to let me get a bigger boat. so guess what I have. A new 15 boat. well nothing for Christmas for me. Or should I say early present. I will post pictures later got to get the boat ready and get these beaver put up.

update the two big beaver weighed 57 and 53 dry. should have left them wet
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:07:12 PM by bblair » Logged

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 07:28:08 PM »

Was really busy Friday and did not have time to post. We got 4 more beaver and one coon that got into the last of the beaver sets. 4 beaver out of 5 set is real good.. out of all the dp traps nothing was in those.
today was a little better on the coon as we got 5. and two more beaver. we will pull the beaver sets in the morning before we start getting into the kits. we also put in some more beaver sets a few miles away. maybe this ran will get everything moving. finally got a chance to get some coyote sets in today. The ran today was cold cold and  now my face has this burning thing going on , but its part of the fun.
tell next time. Maybe Travis will have time to put something about what he set up for those rat and mink.   

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 09:15:41 PM »

At the launch at daybreak. Ready to get this party started!!

I set a few mink traps, mostly high bank trails or the under cut. I did notice quite an over abundance of squirrels,...... I don't know about any other mink trapper but squirrels are my mink set opposums.
I set some bottom edge sets and a pocket or 2.
I did not notice any rat sign yet.
I found more beaver and coon sign than anything, so I set for what was there.
I set a few crossovers for otter and one toilet.
Bob is off to a running start, I sure do hope I don't fall behind he may try and cut me loose.

A nice little patio bank den.

What do you think trail or?Huh??

Then I ended our day in the cockle burrs.
As I set these slide I was thinking man this is a dumb idea snaring these beaver in a cockleburr patch. Thought for a second,  smiled and kept on setting.
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 05:02:20 PM »

It was a great day in the water, really calm and flat. We did catch a few more beaver and several  raccoons.
I did end up snaring a wise old beaver in that cockle patch, luckily I had it set that it would move away from them. One of the neatest beaver I have caught in a few years. Missing a front leg but was healed and furred completely. And really dark.  Also missing an eye. Sure gives you a boost of confidence when you can catch one that seems to have been around the block. Critters are in front of the fan now getting dry. I'm going to spend an hour with the kids grab a bite then get out after the fur work.
 I left a few sets out bob is going to tend for me for a day or so. I'm back to work Monday morning dark and early. I have 2 smaller lines I run 1 before work 4am and one after 7pm Just a few traps cat and fox stuff,
Not a serious line by any stretch, but home turf, very comfortable running early and late knowing where the hazards are. Low populations though is the drawback.
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 05:33:41 PM »

Great job!  You two really have some great posts.  Thanks!

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 09:59:54 PM »

well Travis  should be happy, I'm all caught up on the skinning. Today was a slow day with one beaver. I have a witness to the fact that it was caught by the oil gland, first for me. Did get to put more sets in today because my little girl had her Christmas concert at three today. Nice to take a brake and hear her play.
back out tomorrow to get those set out before this cold front get here. always, always, have sets in before a cold front. 

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 10:20:26 PM »

Got a bunch of land set in today mostly for coyotes. Travis got one beaver in that long run he set the other day. the few coon traps that was out produced 3 more coon. got to get a bunch in tomorrow. had to run around town today plus tomorrow is my anniversary so I need to get those flowers and gift. got to stay on her good side. got a new sd card today so I should be able to take some pics. we will see how it goes. like Travis I have a land line I run also and I have to get that back in shape before the cold weather gets here. sure makes for some long days. up a 5 to bed around 11 if I don't have to much to get ready or skin.
tell tomorrow. 

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 06:24:52 PM »

Today was a bust. One little raccoon and a opossum. Didn't even see any new tracks. I guess the critters didn't like the ran last night. Did find a otter toilet, ok three otter toilets. I set a bunch of traps for them and then a bunch to cut off the opossums and raccoons before they get into the set. Fingers crossed may have a otter in a few days.
Cant wait till this cold front gets here, Travis is missing some real fun. Looks like the temp. will be back up by the weekend just in time for him to be out. we wouldn't wont him to get to cold.   LOL

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 01:56:15 PM »

Boy, I had a rough check last night. Pulled in the drive about 6:20 talked to Bob on the phone for 10 min for progress report and weekend plans. Got out to check my sets around 7. Grab the flashlight check the battery good to go. Holster the 22 and off I went...1 mile later through the pine cedar thicket my stupid flashlight gets to going full on strobe mode rave action. So I pulled the battery put it back.......dead I mean DED dead.. whatever...... I'll use my cell phone to check these last sets......bling bling phone battery 20 % .......2 seconds later dead........ whatever..... moons more than 1/4 I'll just wing it. I'm walking im walking,  thankfully the pines stand out in a little moon light. But briars, vines and cedar eye seeking branches don't. Poked in the forehead and eye more times to count finally back at the truck.......+ 1 beaver , ill definitley be on the remake train tonight had several the deer have been in.
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 08:41:32 PM »

Well something got in one of my perfectly made otter sets. Thank it was the biggest possum that I have seen in a while. when I took the thing out of the trap it broke loose on a mad swim. It must have been its lucky day, after 9 shots which I never hit it, it made it to the far bank. Other then that there was a coon in a dp trap just a little down from that. I just don't know what is going on nothing is moving. I should have pulled today and was thanking tomorrow would be better, but I just know there is some otter and coyotes there and just got to wait them out. Its going to be cold in the morning, I may just sleep in and get out a little later. I forgot. I forgot my dp bait the other day and all I had with me was some squirt cheese so I use that. The last two coon liked the cheese.

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 09:33:17 PM »

Got everything tended tonight with a flashlight that worked. A few sets were worked for me by someone, wrapped up and set aside. Had one coon, but it was the best kind.......dry!
Tomorrow should be a good long check, Christmas concert at 7 so it might be 9 before I get to those sets.
I'm looking forward to making lots of pockets this weekend. Checking 12 traps through the week is fun but Its a bit slow going.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: