ATA Trapper Talk
December 12, 2019, 06:34:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: PLEASE SUPPORT OUR VENDORS WHO SUPPORT OUR FORUM

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: What it takes to run a line.  (Read 39952 times)
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2017, 04:22:19 PM »

We took the weekend easy going. I got out for a scout just to do some snow tracking...it's not to often you actually get to follow the exact steps of critters here. Also A lot of put up fur but not much else. I had family commitments to fulfill, + weather, and getting behind the gun on fur put up meant it was time for a slower weekend. We will get some sets worked around the district meeting next Saturday, might have a few to add next week. Time is ticking I'm confident we will hit the mark just not sure how many more trips out. the spring chore list is starting to build.
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2017, 08:43:35 AM »

I know I have been slacking. Bob doesn't write much when his back in out. The freezers are empty except for some fox and those two coyotes and I will have the done today. All the beaver I have boarded was taking to long in the shop. For the most part is due to me having out so much wet fur. The air in there was getting really stale and had a taint to it. Travis stopped by and picked up the last of the beaver and now everything is well. Most of what I have boarded is dry now and the rest is looking good. I still have 6 more to board that I fleshed yesterday so Ill get them done tonight.

As far as our line goes, for the most part we have been busy at home. I have to redo some of my drowners today and get the boat loaded for Tuesday. I will set out a small line then and pull it Thursday. Friday I out setting another line in a place we haven't trapped this year. Im not sure on the count but I think it is around 72 or so. If my count is right that leaves 28 to get to 100 and I done.  Thumbs Up! 

Back stabbers are everywhere always watch your back
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2017, 09:25:39 PM »

I set out yesterday, not a hole lot with the wind as bad as it was. Came back today with some snares and got out a few of them and a couple more trap. On todays check there was 3 beaver, two of which was the third double this year. Bad thing was that both of them was tangled like crazy and took a while to get them free. Can't decide whether or not to pull tomorrow or leave out one more day. We was going to set a new line out Friday but with this big ran coming in this weekend we better wait and see how much ran there is really going to be.
On the recount we decided that we have 73 as of today. I thank these last 27 are going to be hard. Maybe next weekend we will be able to get together to get the last leg of the line done. Roll Eyes

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2017, 12:43:12 PM »

Pulled everything because of the low numbers. We add three more to our count today, seems three is my number lately.
There are a few things that puts a trapper out of action. For me its wind and water level. When the wind is blowing hard it makes waves, and when you have waves the traps get covered. When the water drops ( I guess they are getting ready for the ran) It puts most set high and dry. So I got both, and all my sets were either covered with a inch of sand or sitting high and dry and covered with sand. If it wasn't for the snares I put out I wouldn't have anything today.
Got to wait tell this ran event is over so I can get the beaver sets back out. Plus we do have that District thing this Saturday.
tell next week.........

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2017, 07:40:02 PM »

It just got real!

Real stupid, I found out yesterday I'm heading out of state for a month. So what little I was doing after work now comes to a hault.

I say fooey on that! I'm loading the work truck down with traps for a little out of state adventure.... The late season permit cost will (Excuse My Language) eggs. I'll just have to see how bad the hemorrhage will be before I commit.

I'm trying my best to hang around until next Monday. If I can wait, I'm going dark to dark this weekend.
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2017, 08:09:18 PM »

Glad to see a post.  I was thinking you guys had too many beaver in the boat, capsized and drowned.    LOL

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2017, 08:44:29 PM »

went out today and set a few traps out today. Have you ever had one of those days when everything goes wrong. Set out to set a bunch of snares and got to the first stop and found that I forgot the snare hangers, not a big dill I always keep a bunch of #9 wire in the boat. Nope forgot that to. I did have a little #14 wire do I used what I had on one set. I set some traps for otter after making a 100 yard walk back to the boat 2 times to get stuff I forgot. and why not put in some DP traps so off I went back to the boat 2 more times. This went on tell noon at every stop.
As I see we may not make it to 100 beaver. Don't worry I'm on it. We will sure make 100 but not one more.
Been having trouble getting all this fur to dry, this weather is putting to much humidity in the air and making for some bad smells coming for the shop. I broke down and bought a dehumidifier today. It is crazy how much water is in the air. I let it run for 4 hours and checked the water level and there must have been 3 or more cups in the thing.........

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2017, 04:59:33 PM »

For some reason they dropped the water at least two foot. sure put all my water sets out of commission. I guess two got in them before the water dropped. so todays count was two beaver and one coon. if my count is right that would be 24 left on that 100 goal. These last ones are getting hard to find. I did find a big den site. The bad thing is it is 200 yards from where I have to park the boat. So I guess I will get out the sled and get it set. should have set it today but didn't wont to make a trip back to the boat then back. I think this beaver is going to be a big one because of the height of the tree cuttings. This beaver picked the biggest tree to cut down and the den is the biggest I have ever seen. We will see. The water isn't deep enough to use my 750's so I will have to set out some snares.
I did set out about 12 or so snares today because of the water fluctuation so we see if I learned how to set then for Travis.

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2017, 05:49:59 PM »

short update, got to go to our chapter meeting.
got one coon today and two more beaver. one in a snare and one in a 750. got a hole bunch or snares out today. bad thing is that I have to pull them tomorrow so we can move to other ground ( or should I say water)

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2017, 06:07:04 PM »

Pulled the line today and so ready to move to some new ground. Todays count was 3 beaver and one coon. Someone thanks we will be out all day tomorrow so I guess it will be a long day. If my count is right we need 19 more. and someone said this new place will hold some good numbers, hope so this 2 and three days are getting old.

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2017, 08:10:59 PM »

Boy oh boy, I get to go out tomorrow, bob sounds extremely excited and he should be it's gonna be awesome!!!!! I can't make it out Sunday so I'm going to make sure he has something in the boat to cuss me about. I just finished getting my gear loaded for the morning. This might be my last venture, I checked on out of state liscence cost.....ha! that ain't happening this late in the season. I also looked at the calander and didn't realize there are so many weeks to he fur sale so I may get a small chance at some spring rats.
I know bob is ready for this to be over, LOL I'm sure I might be to if I was able to be out every day I guess that is one of the bitter sweet things of working all week and then running 2 days. Your body doesn't HAVE to endure the stress of everyday trapping. On the flip side you don't GET to endure the stress of trapping everyday. I will miss weekends with bob and I'm sure we'll have to get into some other trouble once trapping season is over.
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2017, 07:18:25 PM »

We got on a new leg of the line, soon after getting on the water bob spotted a pair of beaver swimming around. That's about the best sign you can find, but as far as sign that was about the best we saw. This is a location I am accustomed to trapping, beaver are a little harder to narrow down. No 30 foot slides one after another. We did find several really nice castor mounds and one castor castle. We also found rat sign in a few of the back wash spots and set that up. We managed to find a frequented otter toilet and set it up. I set up a few snares and used more otter gland throughout today than I ever have, so we should manage a few opposums.
We didn't quite make a full day of it so as soon as I got back to the shop I decided to set a few more, shortly after I was shut down by thunderstorms so in hindsight I'm glad we got off the water when we did.
Not sure what the rain will do for water level but we tried to set a varriety of sets so maybe something will continue to work.
I think we would have gotten out a few more sets but we spent a lot of time treasure hunting. I got a good length of barge rope, a shopping basket(which I never thought about for trapping, but is sure going to be handy), a few pieces of drift wood, some fishing lures, milk crates, etc.

Looks like a possible nasty morning tomorrow I sure wish I could make it out, I'll have the little one and I'm not quite ready to let him out on the river.
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2017, 07:29:11 PM »

someone got all the goodies and left me nothing. I sure the lures was on my list. We did kinda looked like Sanford and Son...
 LOL
Bob is taking the new guy out so I'm sure he will enjoy the rain with me.....

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2017, 08:10:20 PM »

Yesterdays count was 6 beaver. Not a hole lot of beaver sign in this new area. We spread the line out quit a was. And the water in most places wasn't deep enough to set a drowner rig. Have I said anything about the mud. This place has the deepest stuff I have ever seen, I would get out of the boat and sink down to my knees.
Pulled the sets today because I have a lot of things going on tomorrow. The count for today was 5 and that means there is 8 left on that 100 goal. If the 101th one is in a snare and I can let it go then I will just to spite Travis.
Travis got a gift today in one of his sets yesterday and had to do a little work to remove a goose. That thing sure was happy to be free. Today Travis got another gift but I will let him post about it.
After the last catch I will post all the pics I took thought the season.

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2017, 04:42:04 PM »

Mud?? Huh didn't notice. It's just a different kind of sign, it's sure amazing how an animal will change habits under different habitat.
As for the gifts?......First ever snared otter!! I've caught them in conibears, leg holds, but never have with a snare. I've been after that one catch all year.
Bob also picked up a few dead fish for me. They had gill net marks on them, so apparently they had been tossed but didn't make it. I was happy as a lark for both!! 
Home stretch now, hopefully I can still get in a few rats after the 100 are caught and still before the sale.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: