ATA Trapper Talk
December 09, 2019, 08:52:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2019 TRAPPERS WORKSHOP OCT. 25-27

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: What it takes to run a line.  (Read 39816 times)
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2016, 10:33:09 PM »

Not much happing one this new line. I thank the mice are getting to me sets before any thing has a chance to get in to the trap. every set had the bait removed. Only one grinner today. Tomorrow this line gets pulled to get ready to move to the water again. Saturday will be a really busy day, Im going to try to get in 12 to 20 beaver sets in and as many coon trap in as I can. every thing will be on drowners so I can take the day off Christmas.

Back stabbers are everywhere always watch your back
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2016, 01:58:48 PM »

Made a Christmas check of those few sets I left in.

I plugged in a few more sets hoping to catch up with a tricky cat and to add to tomorrow's check with bob and the dzn beaver sets he got in Saturday.
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2016, 07:08:09 PM »

Well as you know I set out 12 750s Saturday and today we went out to check those traps. Well how many beavers is to many for the new boat? To day we found out. Of those 12 sets 8 had big beaver and one had a small. When you have to big old boys and 9 beaver you have a boat load. and when you have a boat load that little motor uses a lot more gas. How we made it back to the ramp I don't know but luck was on our side today. We got to one set day there was no trap. I don't know how but it pulled the stake up and was gone. while I was checking this missing trap Travis went a few yard down and found another set. He came back and we went on a hunt for the missing trap. Long story short I should have looked a the gps. The set were Travis found the beaver was the trap we was looking for. and about 100 feet was the other trap. Time lost was about 30 min. and the loose of my shove. Cool points lost was I thank 1000. We reset all the traps and added a lot of snares and 12 Dp trap to the line. Tomorrow we will add some more traps and a few more DPs. Got to go I have a little skinning to do. Maybe Travis will update on his side of the story........

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2016, 11:24:34 PM »

On my way to meet bob at the river ramp I ran the little bit of rat traps, had a handful of rats and a coon in a mink pocket. Hit the ramp at 730 to get situated and organize some snares bob and I planned to get out.

After a short float we pulled into a slough that held 3 traps.

Pair of eagles and a nest near this spot.......bad place for anything above ground... And definitely NOT a place you'd want any bait to become exposed.

To much more chewing from this side and this beaver might find himself in a situation it can't get out of.

We set a few snares on well used trails like this one. Going up trail a few feet and hanging a snare makes it much easier to get the beaver what you want it to do than to landscape the tar out of this style of bank.

This is twice this year for bob, I think that beaver gladly went down the wire.

Just about got it knocked down.

Getting heavy.
We went from 20 mph in the morning and worked backwards by the time we hit that last set and for the last 5 miles it was all 7-9 mph that weight was sucking that gas down.

One slough we had to hop a sand bar so bob and I got out each had a hand on the boat walking it across, within a step the ground was gone. Bob and I are hanging on opposite side of the boat kicking to get to the bank that is spitting distance away......I can only imagine what someone would have thought if they caught up to us.

It was a good day, plenty of excitement, nice and calm water..I hope bob remembers the extra gas can tomorrow. And I hope that he just about needs it. I've been trying to get everything I have put up since all my sets around the house are pulled. With it being almost 70 yesterday and rainy, 1 of the put up beaver was getting a little (hairy) moldy, so I took quick action to kill that, and turned the fan up a notch. But I'll be ready to put up another round in a few days.

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2016, 05:46:19 PM »

Today was another hard day on my back. We got 15 more beaver. Another foot catch and one by the tail with snares. The boat sure was loaded to the brim today. One of these days I will be caught up so I can post some pics. I took all the pics today on my phone so I have to figure that out now. We still had out those 12 750s which caught another 12. now travis knows why I love those big traps.

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2016, 10:53:13 PM »

I stopped at the house and picked up my skinning stuff and headed over to bobs this evening after work. I pulled in a little after 6, by 8 all the beaver were skinned and in the freezer, the castor and oil sacs were cleaned up and bagged.
I told bob we only need 10 more checks like that and we can quit for the year......he didn't think that was funny.
It wouldn't be to bad if I could be on the line more.......that stupid work stuff gets in the way of trapping season.
One more check on this leg of the line then we'll move to completely new ground. Might be a long weekend for me, so we may try and set heavy while I can be out then drop it to be more manageable if bob wants to make another check after that.
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 11:02:07 PM »

Bob sent me a few pictures today
 2nd leg snares beaver, I think this is happening because the snare is not 90 to the steep bank. Tighter whammy or wire support crimped on the snare will help prevent this.

Sunday bob and I were saying neither of us has caught one by the tail. This small one must have wormed himself through dragging that tail.

I'm not sure we would have made it to the boat ramp if I had rode along today, I bet it was a long ride back.
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 08:51:50 PM »

I forgot to post last night so here it is. On the check on the line Wednesday we ended the day with 5 more beaver, 3 coon and one grinner. One of the coon was a real big one and I haven't seen one that big all season. Seems the coon numbers are down and most are small. I pulled all the traps and snares to get ready for the next move. I took today off to let my back heal a little. I have to go back out and find a missing 750 that seems to have grown legs. I thank the stake was pulled and it is out in the deep water. I know the thing is lonely and wants to come home so I must bring her home. I found out that my trapping partner has a goal for the season, one he should have said something about before we started. What is it? Well its a hole lot of work and he better find more freezer room because 100 beaver takes up a lot of space. From our last count of 47 plus the 5 we got yesterday we are at 52. Half way there. Hope he has some ground to trap because we have trapped all of my lines.
I will post a update Saturday and let you all know how many traps we got out.

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2016, 10:20:05 AM »

I can probably find 1 more. But you're not going to like the walk to get there.
 LOL
I'd probably come down from that if we could catch up to some otter......to..99.

Anytime you want to stop, just say the word. I would rather fall short than have a burned out partner.

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2016, 02:22:57 PM »

Guess were the trap was? The same place I lost one last week.  Pew Pew Pew         Undecided
I ready to catch some more.

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2016, 02:40:38 PM »

I told you that spot is cursed, 4 feet from the bank drops off to 18 feet is not a good place to loose traps.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 03:40:48 PM by Trav821 » Logged
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2017, 06:44:38 PM »

yesterday we got out a few new sets not a hole lot but a few. today we added some more and checked the others. We added 4 more beaver to the count and another coon.
Now for the bad news. Well to me it was bad. Seems on a reset I got my thumb caught up in a 750. I know Travis was laughing inside when I sad it got me. LOL Good thing I had my gloves on or it would have been a hole lot worse. Took me a while to get the feeling back in it and now it is at a low throb. MAD It turned a light black and split the nail. That's what I get for being in a hurry. Last check on this line tomorrow when we pull it. I thank this spot has been trapped and we are getting what is left. Moving on to new ground next weekend and it is going to be cold.

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2017, 08:12:09 PM »

I wasn't much help Saturday, coming off of a cold and prior commitments put me sluggish and getting on the water around noon. As bob said though we managed to checkout the new spot and get a few in. Sunday was a little better and we managed out a few beaver. That bob is one tough cookie, when he caught himself in that mb750 he didn't even cry.....Today was a decent day, we managed 11 to add to the stack and got that small section pulled. Also caught a couple coon and a few rats.  I need to get my rear in gear and get some of this fur put up before Friday so we can roll the dice again.

My fur inspector is checking out what's good in the fur shed today

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:29:44 PM by Trav821 » Logged
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2017, 08:21:46 PM »

My fur inspector is checking out what's good in the fur shed today

Best picture yet!

Wayne Watson
Administrator