ATA Trapper Talk
December 09, 2019, 09:48:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2019 TRAPPERS WORKSHOP OCT. 25-27

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: What it takes to run a line.  (Read 39818 times)
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 08:42:17 PM »

I have no ideal what is going on. Today same thing one coon ( very little one) and one possum in that same otter set.
Should have know today would be a bust when I got to the ramp there was a bunch of duck hunters out. I got the boat ready to put in, then backed her down the ramp and into the water. Looked into the mirror to see a boat floating away in the wind. The hook that holds the trailer to the front of the boat has a little spring that decided to brake letting the boat go free in the wind. Good thing the duck hunter was there to save the day or I would have to wait till Travis got out there after 9 pm. One of my sets looked like a animal just laid down and took a nap. All the dirt was smashed down packing the trap to the ground. Guess the trap got cold and froze to the ground. I hate to pull sets that took so long to get in. But come Sunday we are out of this area anyway. Moving to better ground hopefully.

Back stabbers are everywhere always watch your back
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 09:44:04 PM »

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 10:20:23 PM »

You ever had those days where no matter how hard you bust hump things still won't go in your direction?
That seemed like this weekend, Bob and I opted to run in the same boat, which was fun. I learned a lot and we had a good time giving each other a hard time.
starting Saturday morning we decided to go set new ground then come back and pull the last leg of the line. When we got to new water we loaded the boat....I grabbed the wrong Tin of snares, the can I grabbed had those invisible kind or just none, empty....0...
I whined a little but got to setting what I had. When we stoped at our 3rd stop we each went different directions , made sets, all the while noticing a stranded pair of duck hunters cranking on their boat out in the channel. We finished at that stop and decided to go assist if we could. I am NOT mechanically inclined what so ever, but man those boys were lost!! Bob idles over pops the hood on the dinosaur of a outboard and starts tinkering away. Lost cause....20 min later we decide just made the tow back to the ramp.......long haul...but I get to redeem myself and grab those snares!!!
To and from the boat ramp hours burned, but karma is bound to be on our side now.
We set a fair number not a lot, were not trying to pile them up though.
Come to find out......we are trapping the tail end of the competition......so the place we spent hours at had been trapped, we decide to see how bad and let them ride a night or 2.
To the boat ramp down the road to the next boat ramp put in......... I broke bobs boat...... ......will not start at all. For the second time Saturday bob popped the top and began to tinker. A little while later the 9 horse was buzzing down the strip. Set after set after set nothing. The water was craaaaazy low some places we just ported and walked a ways.  We had one beaver in a snare, decent sized.... apparently I miss judged anchoring the snare though and the beaver was able to get down into the hole plugged peninsula..... get in that fox hole Gump!!!! I got him dug out, loaded him in the boat, problem was he wasn't done wrestling me, we went around for a little bit,  all the while Bob is laughing at me on my beaver wrestling technique, get the situation under control and on down the river we went.

Sunday same plan we would set new ground knowing we wouldn't be to successful at the other spot. It was a good morning setting, I feel pretty comfortable with the sets we got in.
We got on down the river to check Saturday's sets.......man that hurt.
Nothing but a couple grinning mischiefs.   Ouch...
Next weekend we'll move again, gotta keep moving to find the heavy populations and try and get in front of the competition.
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 10:01:54 AM »

Dry spell was short lived, Bob stopped by the shop last night with a boatload. He pulled everything on the part of the line that had another trapper. The new ground we set produced a back problems worth of beaver and bob was sure mad at me for having to pull that entire section by himself......
I pulled my section of north line due to inactivity or very substandard catch. This Friday night I'm going back to roots and getting some mink and muskrat traps out to check the next few weeks. Saturday bob is supper busy so I'm going to ride out solo and try and get a good section upriver set for beaver, we will add Sunday when he comes back out.
Once I get an opportunity to transfer some photos, I'll get some posted.
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 12:43:02 PM »

My internet is on the blink so I haven't been able to post. Moving to a new line proved to be worse and closing that line and moving to the last one was so much better. One thing I when working with someone is to ask what tools I would need to pull his set. I don't know how many trips I made back to the boat but I sure was mad. The last tool I got was cable cutters. I pulled that line in the morning and checked the other after lunch. Was not expecting to catch much but I should have known. Being this is a part of my regular line I run every year. We only set out 4 750's for beaver and all 4 had beaver. I reset all but one because the drowner cable was so missed up. 3 coon in DP traps and a little grinner in a another. Now lets talk about the snares someone set 5 miles from where we put the boat in (ok maybe 200 yards). I'm looking at this GPS saying out loud I HOPE NOTHING IS IN THESE SETS. First set held a small beaver, not a big dill. Two more set nothing. Had to jump a levee and then I saw the water splashing. I don't know how big the thing was but that beaver was big. I brought no gun and nothing to dispatch it with. SOOOOO back to the boat I went again.  This time I moved the boat a little close, maybe 4 miles away. I had to wade in chest high water to get to it and everything went as expected. now on the way back that is where everything went down hill. Wading back (in chest high water) dragging two beaver, a gun and all the tools my leg got caught in between two logs under the water. Yep face first. Now my waders are full of water and I'm soaking wet. And all this was happing in the dark. After I got my breath and did a count of all the tools and gun I moved on. I'm sure there was some words said out loud but I wont put it here. On a plus side we got some fur.
  I pull that line yesterday because my back just couldn't take another day. Two of the 750's held beaver and the other held a otter. We also got anther coon and one grinner. We may have to go back there after I take a few days off to get another land line in later this week. This weekend is going to be cold so I thank I will let Travis have at it. He may wont to look at the wind forecast and the river will be bad.

forgot Travis has my SD card so maybe he will be able to post some pics.

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 07:32:50 PM »

Last week he got mad at me because I pulled all my stuff for the week as I'm used to doing because of work....... LOL popcorn popcorn.
There's a bad side to success?Huh??
The problem I have when snaring, the gear weighs nothing so I'll just keep walking and walking and walking looking for place I'd like to set.
Yep wind chill should bring it down to the negatives this Saturday....so they say.
Might try and change up a little anyway.
Wife is on me about how I need to get Christmas shopping done......."I do my Christmas shopping the same day every year............Christmas Eve"....so I may appease my better half and only trap until 4pm instead of 6pm Saturday.
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 08:26:14 PM »

and the broke boat was not on you. The fuel tank would not vent and got to much pressure in it and caused the carb to over fill. or maybe it was your fault for not paying the ninja. maybe he should have looked in your window before he started to accuse someone.

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2016, 06:43:10 PM »

Day 15/16T-shirt weatherwind chill -5, 3/4 " of ice on everything. River would have been a little sketch due to the forecasted 30 mph winds. So I decided to hit a couple. Beaver ponds I was keeping in my back pocket. I somewhat anticipated the ice so I didn't get in a lot of blind sets or sets subsurface I'm sure glad I didn't. A few colony traps I put out were iced in. I only set a few 330's and a couple of snares and grabbed a couple more beaver.
Saturday morning was beautiful, a little foggy, but a very calm morning....then luck started and I don't mean the good kind. I fought Murphy and his stupid law for about an hour after I had got up early and worked through a couple beaver, trying to get the fur work caught up. I was still able to leave the house a little after 8. I opted to get on the military base and make a few sets in a couple places I spied late summer....one of the ponds had been trapped in the last few weeks. The tale tale guiding and 16 gauge wire from a few beaver chews.....but no boot prints in the mud....maybe a few weeks had passed and they didn't educate to much or at all  so I made 3 sets around some fresh chews. I plugged in a few k9 sets on top of the levee. On down the road at a walk in only i put in a few more sets on decent sign. Pulling out of the parking lot and down the road, here come the rabbit hunting bergade, well poop! There goes that idea.
Got out this am late, I stayed at the house and made the kiddos breakfast. Left the house quarter to 9, check was pretty swift other than chopping some ice. But I won't complain I love that ice atleast a time or 2 during season. You can really walk around a pond and find the hidden bank dens by the bubble trails. Pulled the sets for the work week, went and had a cup of coffee with mr woods, stopped and interrupted Bob and his fleshing fun, back to the house critters are on the dry, just finished a bowl of beef stew, going to try and get caught up posting pictures then back out to the shop with a cup of coffee and an Advil.
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2016, 06:52:26 PM »

Day 15/16T-shirt weatherwind chill -5, 3/4 " of ice on everything. River would have been a little sketch due to the forecasted 30 mph winds. So I decided to hit a couple. Beaver ponds I was keeping in my back pocket. I somewhat anticipated the ice so I didn't get in a lot of blind sets or sets subsurface I'm sure glad I didn't. A few colony traps I put out were iced in. I only set a few 330's and a couple of snares and grabbed a couple more beaver.
Saturday morning was beautiful, a little foggy, but a very calm morning....then luck started and I don't mean the good kind. I fought Murphy and his stupid law for about an hour after I had got up early and worked through a couple beaver, trying to get the fur work caught up. I was still able to leave the house a little after 8. I opted to get on the military base and make a few sets in a couple places I spied late summer....one of the ponds had been trapped in the last few weeks. The tale tale guiding and 16 gauge wire from a few beaver chews.....but no boot prints in the mud....maybe a few weeks had passed and they didn't educate to much or at all  so I made 3 sets around some fresh chews. I plugged in a few k9 sets on top of the levee. On down the road at a walk in only i put in a few more sets on decent sign. Pulling out of the parking lot and down the road, here come the rabbit hunting bergade, well poop! There goes that idea.
Got out this am late, I stayed at the house and made the kiddos breakfast. Left the house quarter to 9, check was pretty swift other than chopping some ice. But I won't complain I love that ice atleast a time or 2 during season. You can really walk around a pond and find the hidden bank dens by the bubble trails. Pulled the sets for the work week, went and had a cup of coffee with mr woods, stopped and interrupted Bob and his fleshing fun, back to the house critters are on the dry, just finished a bowl of beef stew, going to try and get caught up posting pictures then back out to the shop with a cup of coffee and an Advil.

Thumbs Up!

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2016, 07:11:38 PM »

Loaded ready to roll

You might be able to see where the critters are sliding over these laid logs. There's a small strip of missing weeds down this old run.

Beaver pond

Beaver and rats digging

Only the second time ive ever seen swans in the wild

Someone is still home

The rock in the bottom left probably weighs 150 lbs, I carried it a good 20 yards to have something to cable off to. I rarely anchor snares I mostly loop the cable around a tree or rock.

For you guys that don't walk like some of us have had too. Dime a dzn after winter. Super light, just understand they won't carry more than 3 beaver without some struggle.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:18:19 PM by Trav821 » Logged
bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2016, 07:15:59 PM »

someone said they would post some of the pics I took but I don't see them. Maybe the SD card is broke.
Been trying to get caught up on the fleshing and getting the freezers ready for our next run.
I'm going to get out and set some land sets tomorrow after I get the 7 coon boarded.

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2016, 07:25:28 PM »

one of that otter we got the other day.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:27:15 PM by bblair » Logged

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2016, 09:39:30 PM »

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2016, 11:55:05 PM »

That pic with Travis holding the beaver in the water is really him fighting a beaver in the water. I don't know how I got a pic because I was laughing so hard. I even got a video of it but it is a little shaky.
the one with the big hole in the sand didn't catch anything. I thank it needed to sit a little longer before we pulled it.
I like to make them but they need to age a while, the coyotes really fall for them big holes.

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »

I only got 1 coon on to days check. seems those ridge running coon have such better coats. I thank I'm good to set some beaver traps whenever your ready. may have to make everything on drowners so we can spend time with the kiddos and maybe the wife.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: