ATA Trapper Talk
September 17, 2019, 03:25:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2019 SPRING CONVENTION - JUNE 1

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beaver problem  (Read 1870 times)
Al Crandall
Trapper

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »

First area dug out dam and set 330, pilled mud against them, made a mound guarded with two 330 and doesn't look like it's been touched, open dam every day and it gets plugged.   Second set cut 3 small holes in dam and put 330 in one hole and some scent around it, next day trap was tripped, reset trap and put snares in the other 2 holes, next day trap tripped one snare moved, had a little hair on it, never filled holes back in for three days, any advice or input appreciated, thinking about changing over to foot holds but I'm not really enthused about getting in the water with the snakes this time of year. Thanks Guys and Gals
jwr
Mid-Ark Trappers
Trapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 03:50:52 PM »

If you dont like snakes you need a different hobby.  You cant trap beaver without getting wet.

I  do  custom fur work.

Member FTA, USSA, East Arkansas Fur Takers Chapter 29B, Miss Furtakers Chapter 15B,West Tennessee Fur Takers
Chapter 24C, Tennessee Fur Harvesters Association
Affiliate 24B, Louisiana Trappers & Alligator Hunters
Affiliate 33, And about 15 more
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 05:33:55 PM »

Did you set the high side, where you tore it out? Aside from any obvious cross over there may be. Try and get right off the dam a little. In my limited knowledge any time I have broken the dam to relieve water and attract the beaver to that spot. My traps get tripped by floating junk or the beaver comes from the side to make the repair, or straight on with a mouth full. Not saying beaver aren't taken that way but I'd be looking for trails into new territory, deep runs, and prominent cross overs. Can't make em do what they don't want.
How can you not like getting in the water?Huh?? That's the best part IMO. As for the snakes.....part of it, they'll usually peel outta there when you jump in. Unless you find one of those great big mating balls, that has 10-15 of them flailing and flopping around. Big loud stick helps with them too.
Doubt this helps but hope you get them. They sure can be frustrating sometimes.
Al Crandall
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 06:03:02 PM »

Thanks TRAV821, Been out several days and haven't connected, just a little frustrated right now but that never made me quit before, gonna take your advice and try some leg holds on the high side, never trapped beaver with leg hold I guess because I thought it was too hard and time consuming. Guess it's time for this old dog to learn some new tricks,. Thanks Again.
mario
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »

Learning to trap in the warm weather is a no no you should have started in the colder months they move more
Beaver
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 11:39:02 AM »

Mario knows what heís talking about.

In situations like the OP described, I would immediately leave the dam alone.  If possible, leaving it alone for a week or two would do it some good.  Beavers that have not been messed with can be very easy to catch, but, if they catch on to whatís happening, they can become extremely challenging.  Some are easier or harder than others, and some can be quite tricky.  

The first thing I would do would be to put away the lure.  Next, locate the best blind sets that are traveled, even if that means itís on the edge of its core area.  Look until finding the ones that can be set with the least amount of added blocking needed. Ideally, no blocking needed.  Stay away from the place right before dark, and donít make a commotion while out there. Leave the primary dam alone, leave the lure in the bag, Quiet in, quiet out, Quality blind sets, and a little patience goes a long ways towards putting away the more challenging beavers.

Traps that are still set are better than misses and escapes, I can assure you.  I say that with experience.  Itís been a sickening feeling when Iíve picked up a trap containing toe nails Smiley
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 05:32:29 AM by Beaver » Logged

If you can either quickly or quietly switch out shells, you can bring home almost anything.
Trapper PawPaw
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 10:13:11 PM »

My favorite on those small dam breaks are footholds  that are set up as drowners on 1/2 or 5/8 rebar . I use MB550ís for front foot catches & they work great.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: