ATA Trapper Talk
November 19, 2019, 08:54:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATA TRAPPER TALK CODE OF ETHICS

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Mink Set?  (Read 2640 times)
BKS
Trapper

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2014, 12:35:40 PM »

I just bought 20 120 Belisles to try and catch a mink this year (buying traps is like crack )

anyway,

1) What is your favorite mink set?
2) Saw some pvc pipe sets where a 110/120 size conibear was inserted in each end.... Opinions?
3) Saw some box sets made also.
4) Will any conibear holder work with these traps or can you recommend the right ones?

Thanks.

Tight chains and prime fur.
trapper jeff
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 03:23:31 PM »

I am no mink expert- but try that bottom edge set.
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 05:48:33 PM »

I'm no expert either but I like the bottom edge set with foot holds at tight pinch points. Using coni's.....come off the water alittle and look for small trails. Same with thick vegetation feeder streams or drainage ditches it's easy to find little trails. Come at it from the sides though you do to want to give them another trail option. I tried to get a coni to stay in a pipe with not much luck. It wants to kick away from the pipe but a news paper tube takes a 110 pretty slick.
1 small piece of steel and a 55 gallon drum of patience will most often put them on a stretcher
Nutriarat Slayer
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 06:32:57 PM »

1 1/2 coils blind set in water , 110/120's in dry trails , quick and easy !!!!!
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 06:34:11 PM »

Keep in mind that mink doesn't like to get his/her feet wet.  Create a tight spot if one is not available.  Small twigs put in a sandy bank will force it go where you want it.  Also, a small (pencil sized) stepping stick placed just outside of the jaws works great at a blind set.  Don't be discouraged if you don't connect the first couple of nights.  From what I understand, it may take a mink a week to make it's rounds.

Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 06:36:04 PM »

Nutriarat Slayer, would you say no more than 1/2 of water over the trap?

Nutriarat Slayer
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:50:40 PM »

Yea 1/2 inch under water is good but definitely not more than a inch , mink have short legs any more than an inch they have to swim and go over your trap . A mink is by no means trap shy have caught them with the trap setting dry around pipes and under cut banks . Mind you this is how I set mine to each his/her own .
Beaver
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 05:41:47 AM »

My favorite sets are pinch points on dry trails near drainage intersections.  Trails along drainages are good.  Trails along drainages where 2 or more intersect can be goldmines.

Im a fan of metal stabilizers, but you can certainly use wooden stakes or rods to stabilize. I like my BGs for mink to be an inch or two off of the ground. 

Footholds bedded where mink enter and leave the water are killers. 

Top and bottom edges are both great sets too

If you can either quickly or quietly switch out shells, you can bring home almost anything.
Roy Woods
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 08:55:47 PM »

Another way to try is find a culvert with about two inches of water, or in a creek bottom where the bottom is all one flat rock.  Then put a fish head under a large flat rock, put the flat rock anywhere in the creek that has the proper water dept, tie off a jump trap to the rock, and sit it on either side or on the down side of the rock.  The mink will work all around the rock attempting to get the bait.  You can also use a punctured can of cheap tuna under the rock, 33 cents at Wal-Mart. The current will carry the fish oil a long way down stream. and act as a calling card.  No other bait is needed.   
d2
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 05:19:49 AM »

Where a log crosses creeks or ditches are good places for the small coni's too.  I catch a lot of squirrels but you'll catch every mink that comes through too...d2
Beaver
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 06:33:56 AM »

Another way to try is find a culvert with about two inches of water, or in a creek bottom where the bottom is all one flat rock.  Then put a fish head under a large flat rock, put the flat rock anywhere in the creek that has the proper water dept, tie off a jump trap to the rock, and sit it on either side or on the down side of the rock.  The mink will work all around the rock attempting to get the bait.  You can also use a punctured can of cheap tuna under the rock, 33 cents at Wal-Mart. The current will carry the fish oil a long way down stream. and act as a calling card.  No other bait is needed.   

Interesting.  Kind of like what some have people done down here for coons-staking the pyramid solid and placing  traps around the base of the pyramid crawfish trap.  Coon wants to flip the trap, but it has been made difficult by the solid staking. As it works its way around the trap, bingo.

If you can either quickly or quietly switch out shells, you can bring home almost anything.
Beaver
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 06:39:15 AM »

Where a log crosses creeks or ditches are good places for the small coni's too.  I catch a lot of squirrels but you'll catch every mink that comes through too...d2

Ive wanted to setup crossing logs for years, but where I trap mink, I have no crossing logs.  If I get back to mink trapping I think I might have to take matters into my own hands and lay a 2x4 across some key locations.  Itd be great to trap some squirrels in a non-nuisance situation.  Hoping and trying to get recreational squirrel trapping in Louisiana, well see how it turns out...

Roy Woods
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 09:41:12 PM »

So I'm not the only one that catches squirrels in their mink traps.  Good eating, and you can cut off the tails and sell them for 20 to 25 cents.  Problem is that most of the ones I catch are old red boar squirrels, and too touch for anything other than making squirrels and dumplings.  Then there is the problem of the wife not wanting to do that kind of cooking any more.  Better off catching the target animal.     
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: