ATA Trapper Talk
December 14, 2019, 12:55:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2019 TRAPPERS WORKSHOP OCT. 25-27

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposed ATA Constitution and Bylaws  (Read 11962 times)
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2014, 04:21:56 PM »

Our current bylaws are outdated and needed to be updated.

Attached is the proposed ATA Constitution and ATA Bylaws that will be brought up for a vote at the Fall Convention.

Please download and look over.  Make any suggestions on any item you feel needs addressing on or before August 15.

Thanks.

neotoxo
Trapper

"I'LL GIVE AS GOOD AS I GET"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 08:26:50 PM »

Having review both documents I have concerns about the following:

Article 5, Section 1 - There is no established quorum for a General Membership Meeting.  IMHO not having a minimum number of the membership present can lead to a very small minority controlling the majority.

The whole reason for having a quorum is to ensure an adequate sampling of the membership is present in order to conduct business that affects the entire membership.

Granted there may not ever be a 50% turnout of eligible voting members for a General Membership meeting but IMHO there should be a minimum established.

Article 5, section 2 - Participants in any voting need to be eligible voters not just any participant... IMHO the General Membership meeting is by far the most important of all...any and all precautions should be taken to ensure that not only eligible voters participate but that there are enough of them to provide a fair representation of the membership.

Article 5 Quorum and Voting
Section 1 Quorum
Governing Board
1. For the purpose of conducting ATA business, the definition of a
quorum shall be the attendance of at least fifty percent (50%) of the
Governing Board membership
Ways and Means Committee
1. For the purpose of conducting ATA business, the definition of a
quorum shall be the attendance of at least fifty percent (50%) of the
Ways and Means Committee membership
District
1. None required
Section 2 Voting in Attendance
Passing votes for the following shall be by simple majority of those
participating in the vote
1. General Membership
2. Governing Board
3. Ways and Means Committee
4. Districts

Proud Member of
East Arkansas Fur Takers, FTA Chapter 29B
SWAFT, FTA 29A
Arkansas Trappers Association
NTA,FTA,USSA
Supporting All Trappers and Sportsmen Alike
kkac
TRAP DEALER-BEAVER CATCHER
Global Moderator
Trapper

TIGHT CHAINS AND COOL WEATHER

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 09:37:07 PM »

that's why it was put on the site so we could make sure we didn't miss anything.
an active member 16 years of age and up imo

TIGHT CHAINS AND COOL WEATHER
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 08:12:42 AM »

Article 3, Section 2 of the constitution defines the voting age.

Article 5, Section 2 should read "Passing votes for the following shall be by simple majority of those members
participating in the vote"

As far as a quorum, a small minority already comes to the meetings and participates in voting.

Does anyone know the last time more than 50% of the members were actually at the Fall meeting?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:16:26 AM by Wayne Watson » Logged

neotoxo
Trapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 09:05:18 AM »

As posted earlier -

Granted there may not ever be a 50% turnout of eligible voting members for a General Membership meeting but IMHO there should be a minimum established.

Article 5, section 2 - IMHO the General Membership meeting is by far the most important of all...any and all precautions should be taken to ensure that not only eligible voters participate but that there are enough of them to provide a fair representation of the membership.

As the current Draft for consideration reads there could be as few as 1 or 2 members show for a General Membership meeting and IF the President is present to conduct the meeting those few COULD conduct business for the entire organization.

All I'm pointing out here is that IMHO there needs to be established a minimum number or percentage of the General Membership present for the meeting in order to conduct the business at hand for the ATA.

To that end another consideration for the updated constitution would be to include a provision and set procedures for 'Proxy' voting with the results in mind to increase membership participation in the voting process.

A quick internet search found the following definition and explanation of a quorum....

A quorum is the minimum number of members of a deliberative assembly (a body that uses parliamentary procedure, such as a legislature) necessary to conduct the business of that group. According to Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, the "requirement for a quorum is protection against totally unrepresentative action in the name of the body by an unduly small number of persons."
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:13:19 AM by neotoxo » Logged

Proud Member of
SWAFT, FTA 29A
NTA,FTA,USSA
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »

What percentage would you recommend?  15%?  That's approximately the number of members who come to the fall meeting.

bblair
Trapper

501-575-0046

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »

Where do we get a copy of the bylaws? .
I agree there should be a percent of members present for any vote that pertains to us as a group.
IMHO there should be at least some way to reach out to all the members whether it be a mailing or on the ATA wed. site. I am sure we would see a hole lot more voters that way.

Thank you for bring thing like this up...
bob

Back stabbers are everywhere always watch your back
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 11:23:49 AM »

Where do we get a copy of the bylaws?

In my original post.  They can be downloaded.

Nutriarat Slayer
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 12:37:34 PM »

I understand you NEED more than 2 or 3 to vote but if no one will show up to vote where are you at ?? When I was involved in rodeos the top 15 in each event go to the finals in Oct. the top 20 voted on the stock to take ( as things could change in the top 15 ) , out of 20 contestants notified by mail a month in advance & as bullriding director a phone call from me a week before the meeting to remind them & tell them if you ain't there to vote don't complain about the bulls at the finals , well out of 20 I think the most that ever showed up was about 8 . It was handled as said you didn't vote so get on the bull you have or turn out if you don't like him and go home , my point being if people can't take the time to vote then what happens when the minority votes  should be fine , for the ones it p'.//;s of oh well should have been there to vote , and I'll go as far as to say this the ones that complain about things if they were told be here next meeting we'll vote to change wont show up then either .
neotoxo
Trapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 01:01:55 PM »

What percentage would you recommend?  15%?  That's approximately the number of members who come to the fall meeting.

At the Sep 2012 General Membership meeting that determined the conversion to Districts (*a reaffirmation of the 2011 vote) there were 88 votes cast.  At best that might have been 20% of the active eligible membership at that time.

Unfortunately I haven't much faith in such a turnout again unless another big issue comes about and folks talk it up the upcoming year.

That said...25% would be great...20% a possibility but 15% is more likely...understanding that if there aren't enough eligible voters at the time of the vote whatever issues are at hand will be moot.

Again I also add that having a proxy voting process and procedures in place would allow the entire membership to participate.  They would simply post their choice on a prepared ballot and mail it in by a No-Later-Than date to be counted at the General Membership meeting.

New business items at the time of the meeting may or may not need to be tabled until the next vote...WHICH could also be done by proxy anytime of the year before the General Membership meeting should such an important item present itself.

Proud Member of
SWAFT, FTA 29A
NTA,FTA,USSA
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 01:37:59 PM »

I understand you NEED more than 2 or 3 to vote but if no one will show up to vote where are you at ?? When I was involved in rodeos the top 15 in each event go to the finals in Oct. the top 20 voted on the stock to take ( as things could change in the top 15 ) , out of 20 contestants notified by mail a month in advance & as bullriding director a phone call from me a week before the meeting to remind them & tell them if you ain't there to vote don't complain about the bulls at the finals , well out of 20 I think the most that ever showed up was about 8 . It was handled as said you didn't vote so get on the bull you have or turn out if you don't like him and go home , my point being if people can't take the time to vote then what happens when the minority votes  should be fine , for the ones it p'.//;s of oh well should have been there to vote , and I'll go as far as to say this the ones that complain about things if they were told be here next meeting we'll vote to change wont show up then either .

That is the very reason the quorum for the general membership was completely eliminated from the drafted by laws.  You never know how many folks will attend the meeting.

As an example, if 90 is the "magic" number, but only 85 attend the meeting.  A big part of that 85 made the long trip for nothing.

The ATA cannot make folks attend the meetings.  Just like the ATA cannot make folks get interested in the ATA.  We probably have a lot of members who only join so they can sell their fur in Russellville.

As of the end of February, 2014 we have 179 members in District 1.  Everyone gets a phone call when we have a meeting.  As a general rule, we will pick up a new member or two...sometimes more, but it's always the same 20-25 folks who show up to actively participate.

That is why the BOD decided to delete the quorum for the general membership.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:28:04 PM by Wayne Watson » Logged

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 03:09:29 PM »

I agree a proxy would serve best here. What about voting at district levels on major events, that way atleast if your district rep travels to the convention your districts majority could be cast that way. Similar to how the good ole U S of A does it, almost electoral vote but not quite. And if you did not or could not come your voice would still be heard and someone else with different bias wouldn't be choosing for you
neotoxo
Trapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 03:31:54 PM »

I agree a proxy would serve best here. What about voting at district levels on major events, that way at least if your district rep travels to the convention your districts majority could be cast that way. Similar to how the good ole U S of A does it, almost electoral vote but not quite. And if you did not or could not come your voice would still be heard and someone else with different bias wouldn't be choosing for you

The only problem I can see arise from having a district rep cast such a vote would be that there may be a risk that they would vote their 'conscience' instead of what the majority of the District decides...

As for the Proxy process and procedures I will offer the following -

Section (X) Proxy Voting
   (a)  Will be allowed for published and distributed Agenda Items
   (b)  Must be in one of the following formats
      (1)  Written communication
         (a)  Hand Delivered to the Sec/Treasurer
            (1) Before the meeting convenes
            (2) Contains
               Members Name
               Agenda Item/Items they are voting on
               Their intended vote
               Members Signature with Date and Time
         (b)  Delivered by USPS
            (1) No Later than 3 Business Days before the meeting convenes
            (2) Contains
               Member's Name
               Their intend vote
               Members Signature with Date and Time
      (2) Email to *ATA Secretary/Treasurer EMail
         (a)  Received No Later than 3 Business Days before the meeting convenes
         (b)  Contains
            Member Name
            Their intended vote
            Time and Date Stamp on the Email will serve as a signature

Proud Member of
SWAFT, FTA 29A
NTA,FTA,USSA
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »

Comments noted and will be passed on to the BOD for consideration.

Please post anything else that we may need.

Thanks.

Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 06:33:30 PM »

I guess I miss worded that, I should have said .....for the rep to carry the ballots to the convention that were cast at a more local level, it seems that is always the discussed problem with attendance is it's to far for some.But you are right, there will always be a chance for human err or corruption
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: