ATA Trapper Talk
November 12, 2019, 09:29:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: PLEASE SUPPORT OUR VENDORS WHO SUPPORT OUR FORUM

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Snares on drowner wires  (Read 1923 times)
curt
Trapper

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:07:35 PM »

Anyone use short snares on drowner cables for beaver/otter? What lock would be best?  Smiley
kkac
TRAP DEALER-BEAVER CATCHER
Global Moderator
Trapper

TIGHT CHAINS AND COOL WEATHER

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 08:22:38 PM »

I do, I use a small   L  lock on the cable.
I will fix up about 100 of them before season and that way all I have to do is wire the end of the trap to the L lock and i'm ready to go. Thumbs Up!

curt
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 08:34:18 PM »

Sorry, kkac i ment what type snare lock would u use would u still use the L shaped lock on the snare? I will use L drowner lock on the slide wire.
jwr
Mid-Ark Trappers
Trapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 08:36:35 PM »

Anyone use short snares on drowner cables for beaver/otter? What lock would be best?  Smiley

You make it up to the bluff saturday and ill show you a drownin snare.  The drown lock slides down the snare and locks up against the snare lock.  Then the drown lock slides down the wire..

Clear as mud?

I  do  custom fur work.

Member FTA, USSA, East Arkansas Fur Takers Chapter 29B, Miss Furtakers Chapter 15B,West Tennessee Fur Takers
Chapter 24C, Tennessee Fur Harvesters Association
Affiliate 24B, Louisiana Trappers & Alligator Hunters
Affiliate 33, And about 15 more
curt
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 08:43:45 PM »

I love to come to convention at d bluff but prolly can't make it. The only snares I ever used were relaxin coyote live market snares. I've snared beaver on dry ground with em but dang that makes mess and scares the others
jwr
Mid-Ark Trappers
Trapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 08:53:38 PM »

scares the others?Huh??

never had that problem.  caught beaver 6 and 8 nites in a row, in the exact same spot.

i think Ill go out and make some drownin snares for saturday. Thumbs Up!

I  do  custom fur work.

Member FTA, USSA, East Arkansas Fur Takers Chapter 29B, Miss Furtakers Chapter 15B,West Tennessee Fur Takers
Chapter 24C, Tennessee Fur Harvesters Association
Affiliate 24B, Louisiana Trappers & Alligator Hunters
Affiliate 33, And about 15 more
curt
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 08:58:46 PM »

Dang jwr last time I caught a beaver I live catch snare on the ground took me two weeks to catch another in that same spot. Just seemed like they didn't want to come up the bank on that location any more.
kkac
TRAP DEALER-BEAVER CATCHER
Global Moderator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 05:56:23 AM »

we'll get you fixed up and i'll show you how to set them up next time your by the shop.
I only use a few different kinds of locks on my snares.
bmi mini lock, sure lock, slim lock, penny lock, Hoffman lock, cam lock, and bullet lock.
I never used the slim lock until Jackie and mark should me how they worked on 5/64 cable and now I set some of the other locks up in the same way.
only thing is I don't like a loaded snare, I catch more animals in just good ole fast snares.

Beaver
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »

For beavers, all of my drowner cables are adjustable.  Most are 15 feet but I carry some that are longer just in case I need them. Adjustable cables can be rigged several ways, but all of mine are built using (2) Cam Locks, almost always with 1/8” 7x19 cable. 

Snares can be any good beaver snare that doesn’t have much extra cable once the loop is made.  There are quite a few great snare locks in my opinion.  Locks that I personally like using are Slimlocks, Deathblows, Newts Lock, and Bullet locks.  I really like bullet locks on 5/64” cable for beavers.

As for attaching them to the drowner, you can get as creative as you like. J-hooks, clips, toggles, or even wire if in a pinch.

If you can either quickly or quietly switch out shells, you can bring home almost anything.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: