ATA Trapper Talk
December 12, 2019, 07:25:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATA TRAPPER TALK CODE OF ETHICS

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pelt Possesion  (Read 3646 times)
neotoxo
Trapper

"I'LL GIVE AS GOOD AS I GET"

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2013, 07:27:11 PM »

17.04  UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF PELTS
03 - 06
It is unlawful to possess the untanned or green pelts of any animal for which there is no
open season in Arkansas.
EXCEPTIONS:
(1)  Possession of pelts, legally taken in another state and accompanied by verification
required by the state of origin; or
(2)  By a permit issued by the Commission or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

I was reviewing the changes in the latest regulation update and the paragraph above caught my eye...

It shows the last time it was changed was back in Mar. 2006 but it seems to not read correctly to me...

Gives me pause for concern about those of us who may have frozen fur in the freezer after Feb. 28th...
I.E. Bobcat and Otter...even if they have their CITES tag...

I thinking one exception was inadvertently dropped and not noticed...
such as
(3) Possession of pelts, legally taken in state by residents during an open season.

I know some Northern states require that all fur be sold by a certain number of days after the seasons close...
not aware of any such requirement by AGFC

Proud Member of
East Arkansas Fur Takers, FTA Chapter 29B
SWAFT, FTA 29A
Arkansas Trappers Association
NTA,FTA,USSA
Supporting All Trappers and Sportsmen Alike
SD Trapper
Global Moderator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »

How does this reg compare to the 2012-2013 version?  What about 2011-2012?  Does the verbiage deviate or is it the same?  Kind of makes a fella want to keep a copy of each version for comparison purposes, sad as it seems.....

Don't Tread On Me
neotoxo
Trapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 08:22:42 PM »

How does this reg compare to the 2012-2013 version?  What about 2011-2012?  Does the verbiage deviate or is it the same?  Kind of makes a fella want to keep a copy of each version for comparison purposes, sad as it seems.....

I used to keep back copies before the format changed...don't recall ever seeing it like this before...I sent Blake and email to ask for the official word...

Proud Member of
SWAFT, FTA 29A
NTA,FTA,USSA
d2
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 08:38:23 PM »

I don't find it confusing. What they are talking about, I think, would be the possession of Cougar and such that are not legal to trap or shoot here in Arkansas. I assume Red Wolves would be on that list too. But unless you are prone to screwing up there is no need to worry about what you have in your freezer...d2
geslayton
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 10:20:54 PM »

17.04  UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF PELTS
03 - 06
It is unlawful to possess the untanned or green pelts of any animal for which there is no
open season in Arkansas.

EXCEPTIONS:
(1)  Possession of pelts, legally taken in another state and accompanied by verification
required by the state of origin; or
(2)  By a permit issued by the Commission or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

I was reviewing the changes in the latest regulation update and the paragraph above caught my eye...

It shows the last time it was changed was back in Mar. 2006 but it seems to not read correctly to me...

Gives me pause for concern about those of us who may have frozen fur in the freezer after Feb. 28th...
I.E. Bobcat and Otter...even if they have their CITES tag...

I thinking one exception was inadvertently dropped and not noticed...
such as
(3) Possession of pelts, legally taken in state by residents during an open season.

I know some Northern states require that all fur be sold by a certain number of days after the seasons close...
not aware of any such requirement by AGFC

It is only illegal to posses it if there isn't a season for it in Arkansas.  It doesn't mention during open season.  The way that reads you can keep legally caught furbearers all year for as long as you want to.  You can even keep animals that don't have an open season in Arkansas (porcupines, cougars, wolves, etc.) as long as you have documentation from the originating state that you actually took that animal there.
smoked hog
Global Moderator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 08:43:08 AM »

That's how I read it as well. I am interested in seeing Blake's interpretation as well though.
Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 05:01:21 PM »

It is only illegal to posses it if there isn't a season for it in Arkansas.  It doesn't mention during open season.  The way that reads you can keep legally caught furbearers all year for as long as you want to.  You can even keep animals that don't have an open season in Arkansas (porcupines, cougars, wolves, etc.) as long as you have documentation from the originating state that you actually took that animal there.

That's the way I read it.

neotoxo
Trapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 05:55:09 PM »

That is exactly why a clarification is needed...

To me "open season" is referencing the 'present' tense not the fact that there is or is not a season for the species.  

We have numerous sesons on a variety of animals here in Arkansas.  AND those seasons establish dates when the taking of those animals is allowed/open as well as when taking is not allowed/closed

Proud Member of
SWAFT, FTA 29A
NTA,FTA,USSA
geslayton
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 07:12:12 PM »

No different than the rules for having deer or turkey in your freezer.  As long as it was legally taken, you can have it in there.  It says you can't possess pelts of animals for which there is no open season.  It doesn't say you can't posses pelts outside open seasons.  This is one area that I don't understand the need for further clarification.
d2
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 07:14:33 PM »

" For which there is NO open season on " should explain it. We have an open season on coon, beaver, mink, otter etc. If it is legal to trap or hunt in Arkansas, during season, you can have it in your freezer...d2
kkac
TRAP DEALER-BEAVER CATCHER
Global Moderator
Trapper

TIGHT CHAINS AND COOL WEATHER

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 11:26:02 AM »

correct d2
if there is no season on an animal you bought outside the state or country, then you better keep a paper trail of it.
it is also unlawful to possess a river otter or a bobcat without a cities tag wheather for selling or for your own use during the dates of april 1st until the first day of season for said animal.

neotoxo
Trapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 01:32:02 PM »

I ask Blake Sasse to clarify this subject and here is his reply:

Rocky,
It appears that you have found another instance of something getting dropped off when we totally re-wrote the code a few years ago.  The main body of that code has been unchanged since 1980.  In 2006 we added an exception 3 in order to make it clear what the rules were in regards to Arkansas furbearers:

Pelts or carcasses of furbearers legally taken in Arkansas may be possessed outside of the furbearer hunting and trapping seasons.  Otters must be tagged in compliance with Commission Code 10.12.

For some unknown reason it looks like that Exception 3 was left out when we re-did the code in the fall of 2011.  Iíll talk to the furbearer team about re-proposing it.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Blake Sasse
Nongame Mammal/Furbearer Program Leader
E: dbsasse@agfc.state.ar.us | P: (501) 470-3650 ext. 1235

Arkansas Game and Fish Commission
213A Highway 89 South | Mayflower, AR 72106
P: (501) 470-3650 | F: (501) 470-3399
http://www.agfc.com

In my reply to him, I reminded him that Bobcats also need to be included along with the otter since both reuquire CITES tagging.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:34:26 PM by neotoxo » Logged

Proud Member of
SWAFT, FTA 29A
NTA,FTA,USSA
SD Trapper
Global Moderator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 03:38:21 PM »

Great catch, neo.

Don't Tread On Me
kkac
TRAP DEALER-BEAVER CATCHER
Global Moderator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 04:12:31 PM »

neo for president, Obama out neo in.
better not do that he might make trapping season a holidazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Grin

Wayne Watson
Administrator
Trapper

ATA President

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 07:36:10 PM »

neo for president, Obama out neo in.
better not do that he might make trapping season a holidazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Grin

Nothing wrong with that.  Trapping season should be a holiday.  Question is, would we get EBT cards during trapping season?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: