ATA Trapper Talk
December 09, 2019, 09:36:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2019 TRAPPERS WORKSHOP OCT. 25-27

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NAFA and price  (Read 394 times)
wildfur
Trapper

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2019, 07:16:21 PM »

can anyone give me some advise on charging for trapping. I will be removing coons and coyotes of farm land. Never charged before.
Is there any truth to NAFA not auctioning wild fur this year. I recieved an email saing they filed for bankruptcy. If this is true will we still have the fur action here.
Roy Woods
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 11:38:34 PM »

If they have filed for bankruptcy, I'd be concerned about whether I'd get any return for the fur.  As an alternative, you might find a good local buyer or send to Fur Harvesters, you will probably sleep much better. 
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 01:02:50 PM »

The ata will must host a fur sale. It’s in the ATA constitution, if for whatever reason the effort was not made you as a member have justification to raise some cane. It has always been posed as the main benefit of being a member. Although millions of skins went through NAFA, this is not an end all. When Hudson Bay pulled the plug in the 90’s, that wasn’t the end of fur trapping. Nafa’s down turn or management or lack of may just be another chapter in the long book of the trapping heritage. You’d have to also consider how many are not trapping due to a lack of revenue. There will be of course that initial Black Friday like rush to get to fha or the like. It is imperative, that if you wish to send fur for sale now, it’s put up or pelted  properly. Sending garbage to a stressed market has always been a problem, now it’s just more so.
As for charging, theres tons of talk on ADC forums on how to charge. I have always felt trappers undercharge. There’s a frame of thought where X amount is charged for one critter. So if you charge $25 to catch that one beaver up close to the truck that has never seen a human or a trap, you’d also charge $25 for the one that has seen every first year workshop graduates, gets shot at daily and is 2 miles through gumbo to the truck, and takes 14 days to finally catch, Right?There are so many variables to be able to say what a job is worth. Use your mileage, terminal gear for the job, add in what you consider the job timeline to be worth, that should get you in the ballpark. Your knowledge is so valuable!!!!! Don’t give it away for Free. You’ll be told your price is too much, let them keep their problem then. Explain the opportunity cost, if a beaver is flooding 250 acres of soybeans, he already knows what that is worth to him. It’s probably not $10
Never mind that argument that “ we’ll you get the animal too”. “Or I thought you do this for fun” HOGWASH!! That didn’t pay for the gas to get you there.
wildfur
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 01:32:19 PM »

I will do the math for charging I acually never thought about the gas. I read the news on the website for NAFA and they did file for BR no other real information. I was told through email many checks sent out by them to trappers bounced. BUt since we wil have an auction then I am okay and I will check into Fur Harvesters. I know very little about them.
Al Crandall
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 12:16:39 AM »

Wild fur, I charge $20 for coons and beaver with the understanding that the land owner will sign paperwork for me to collect the bounty on beaver after the first of the year. I don't trap coyote just because I don't want to mess with catching a domestic dog, If you trap coyotes besides the fee you charge also check into selling live coyotes, there are large pens where they have coyotes for people to run with their dogs, seems like they are always in the market for live coyotes.
wildfur
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 07:32:31 AM »

Thanks I appreciate the advice. Having never charged anyone because I usually trap on public land its difficult to think of all the ins and outs. I do know what you mean about the domestic dogs though. I have found that people and some deer hunters either leave their dogs or dump them. The amount of dogs running loose all over perry county is astounding. About once a month there is a new dog someone has dumped coming up into my yard which makes it difficult to set anything. I have more coons on my place than I have ever seen at one time. Coyotes, Fox and possums are just a way of life in my front yard and in the last 2 years so are stray dogs and cats. I have a good idea of what to do about pricing I will see what happens. I know that if coons ever make a come back I will be rich.
Al Crandall
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 11:09:15 AM »

Wildfur, I guess I should have been clearer, and this is just my opinion, when I said domestic dogs I meant pets, hunting dogs, dogs with collars, and so forth, if someone doesn't care enough to put a collar on their dog and keep  him close to home it's a recipe for disaster and the outcome will be a bad. a mile away from his home and he's apt to start chasing stock, tearing up peoples trash and maybe even attacking children, I consider them feral and they should be left laying in the woods, same for feral cats, the impact on baby rabbits, quail and turkey can be devastating'
wildfur
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 01:58:19 PM »

I understand now and completely agree. I will be glad to get into the full swing of trapping.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: