ATA Trapper Talk
May 29, 2020, 11:15:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATA TRAPPER TALK CODE OF ETHICS

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trappin  (Read 1593 times)
Al Crandall
Trapper

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2019, 10:34:09 PM »

anyone trappin? fur worth anything this year? trappin nuisance beaver and thinning out the coons on the family farm.
Hookedontrapping
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 01:22:16 PM »

I set two coyote traps and didn't get anything but this weekend I'm gonna sent the coon population. Hopefully.
JReagan
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 09:25:22 AM »

Took my teenage kids out to set some coyote and coon traps this past weekend, came up empty but fun was still had. This is my first trapping season so I'm still in the "learning more than doing" stage of things. Got out 8 sets of various types and learned what I did wrong at the end, so I suppose it was a fruitful weekend  Grin
JWD
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 08:33:33 PM »

Just now got a few sets out yesterday afternoon, not much, 8 or 9 random sets in culverts and creek crossings. Couple dp's, some #160 conibears, and one live trap. Haven't checked them as of yet, hoping to get them checked on the way home in a little bit. I do know prices aren't great, but I don't trap for the money, I trap because I like trapping.
kkac
TRAP DEALER-BEAVER CATCHER
Global Moderator
Trapper

TIGHT CHAINS AND COOL WEATHER

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 09:27:55 PM »

got some beaver and coyote traps going for control , and i'll set some otter and other traps in the morning.
want put a good line out till grandson gets here thanksgiving

TIGHT CHAINS AND COOL WEATHER
Arkiefur
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 08:35:34 AM »

Sure not much worth trapping, but I trap public land  and can't do it until the deer hunters are out of the woods or I will lose all my traps. Sad, but true. Got some bobcats pinpointed while deer hunting.
TL_Wasson
Mid-Ark Trappers
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 04:53:47 PM »

Actually may get to do some trapping this year!   been a WHILE for me with the new job duties in MGMT.. 5 yrs... seem like a lifetime since i set steel...     Scouted a farm for water sets to help a friend last night... got some promise, a few otter, and more beaver than i can set for... should be an easy gig to get back into the swing of it...     hoping price does a jump so i dont have to skin/ store it much...   

time, is money in this type game. specially with pricing low...!        GOOD LUCK newbies and oldbies!      Its fun no matter what!   TL

a good friend once told me: "Traps are patient and work 24 hours a day."
coonman
Mid-Ark Trappers
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 08:45:18 PM »

Actually may get to do some trapping this year!   been a WHILE for me with the new job duties in MGMT.. 5 yrs... seem like a lifetime since i set steel...     Scouted a farm for water sets to help a friend last night... got some promise, a few otter, and more beaver than i can set for... should be an easy gig to get back into the swing of it...     hoping price does a jump so i dont have to skin/ store it much...   

time, is money in this type game. specially with pricing low...!        GOOD LUCK newbies and oldbies!      Its fun no matter what!   TL
Good luck TL. Coon meat market has me trapping coons every year. Plenty of beaver to catch also. Going to get started this weekend with beaver and a few coon sets. The kick off weekend for me, will be expanding from here on out. Trapping close to house to keep expenses down, unless it's a paying gig. I'll start playing with coyotes and cats at the end of the month. Give the deer hunters a couple weeks to get hounds out of the woods. Tight chains everyone.

21st Century Moutain Man
JWD
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 10:57:25 AM »

Coonman, what's this "coon meat market" you speak of? I haven't exactly slayed the coons the past few seasons, but the idea of a meat market for them is still interesting. I try to utilize as much of the animals as possible.
coonman
Mid-Ark Trappers
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 03:18:49 PM »

Coonman, what's this "coon meat market" you speak of? I haven't exactly slayed the coons the past few seasons, but the idea of a meat market for them is still interesting. I try to utilize as much of the animals as possible.
I have a guy that buys my coon meat to resale or to use for his own personnel consumption. With fur being down I'm not going to travel far to catch coons, but what I do catch he will buy whether I catch 10 or 100. Coon consumption not as common as it once was but there is still a market. Up to the trapper to find a buyer.

21st Century Moutain Man
TL_Wasson
Mid-Ark Trappers
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 05:58:23 PM »

Thanks Coonman!   sounds like you are the same timeline as me!  Dec is the start month usually.   less people in woods.   coons off feeders, no corn.   back to normal.. 

me, looks like it will be only a few local sets near the house for a beaver or 2 for eating..   and to remember how to skin! LOL   

been 5 yrs since i knifed a fur critter.   seems like a lifetime..   sure miss it, being cold, wet, driving in the dark from a 20 hr day...  yep!   sure miss the " good ole days"...   

Smiley  but, tripping up a beaver or 4-5 of em...    and the possibility of an otter?   can't resist.. 

TL

a good friend once told me: "Traps are patient and work 24 hours a day."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: