ATA Trapper Talk
July 19, 2018, 03:12:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: PLEASE SUPPORT OUR VENDORS WHO SUPPORT OUR FORUM

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buckets  (Read 664 times)
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2017, 08:03:10 AM »

Every year I try and learn a new technique, this year I chose the 160 bucket set. Apparently though thereís more to it than meets the eye. I have been twisting and changing a few sets trying to find what works best and itís beginning to seem like a very low percentage set. My down fall could be not letting them set long enough... Undecided
Iím just curious if any of you have experience using this method and what has worked well.
Iíve tried numerous baits, lures, placement of both, flagging lowering, lifting, burying, etc.
Things I think about to change are painted buckets, screened backs for air flow through the bucket, I know some of you cage Trappers have used or seen the chirppers, I had an idea of using a similar gimmick, but not bird noises, small AA dc motor with a flapper to cover up with leaves might make a nice rodent like scratchy noise. Iíve even contemplated cutting the backside off the bucket
I know Iím on Location, first few failures agitated me enough to put a trail camera on a few, critters will hold a foot or so outside the opening or glance in and be on there way.

So any ideas on how to make a critter commit to going into a back out situation?
It may seem like an idea to put down but I have a hard time doing that knowing with my work schedule this could give me the time edge I need on certain properties.
Roy Woods
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 05:36:25 PM »

Mr "T"; I've had some experience doing the bucket trapping, and my results were the same as yours.  I didn't check them out with a camera as you have, but I did spray paint the outside of the bucket brown and the inside yellow, and I done this months before they were used for trapping so there would be no odor.  The guy that sold me the buckets said that bobcats liked "yellow"; guess they found some yellow buckets before they got to the briar patch that I was in.   I drilled 1/2 inch holes in the bottom for air circulation, and secured the bait to a metal stake drove from the top thru holes into the ground to help secure the trap.   I elevated the front about 3 to 4 inches, which supposedly helps to entice the bobcat to stick his head in.  You might want to check with the Tired Snareman, I believe he  has or was trying these sets out earlier this month.  If you find out the secret to this I would like to hear from you.  Good Luck.     
Trav821
Administrator
Trapper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 10:27:56 PM »

Thank you Mr. Roy
I have never heard of using yellow. I have tried lifting the front, Iím beginning to believe I need to go the other way with it though, then lift the whole bucket.
Iím almost positive I could put pans on them and catch a good amount of coons, grinners,skunks from what Iíve seen and the catches made so far. But my intent is more on cats and fox. Iíve heard of people catching both using this method.
Iím sure Iíll eventually make the catch. Just tweaking the system to my Location is just a bit more trial and error than I anticipated with what seems to be simple. But no worries, one of my favorite things about trapping, the curve is lllloooooonnnnngggg.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: